steel to pvc

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Polson, Feb 19, 2008.

  1. Polson

    Polson New Member

    Feb 19, 2008
    I am replacing my kitchen counter and sink because they are in need of updating. My old sink was 6 inches deep and I would like to put in an 8 inch sink now. The problem is that the waste line coming out of the wall is too high, so an 8-inch sink is too deep to drain into the waste line, specifically on the side with the disposal. I would like to lower the waste line to allow for the deeper sink. My house was built in 1947 and the waste line is 1.5 or 2 inch steel pipe. As far as I can tell it comes straight up out of the basement and makes a 90 degree bend out of the wall under the sink.

    Is it possible to cut open the wall beneath the 90 degree bend, cut a few inches off the steel pipe in place with a hacksaw or something and couple the cut end to a plastic line with some sort of rubber coupling or something?

    What do you all think is the easiest way to solve this issue? I want a deeper sink, but not if it's going to cost me a ton of cash in plumbing changes...or flood my basement with wastewater;)

    Thanks for the help.
  2. gear junkie

    gear junkie Plumber

    Feb 14, 2008
    Virginia Beach, IPC country
    Open the wall and install a santee to make up the desired location and connect with fernco's.
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

  4. jadnashua

    jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

    Sep 2, 2004
    Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    New England
    Many older installs didn't have a vent (i.e., wet vented). If you are going to open the wall up, you may want to consider at least putting in an AAV, if allowed. A true atmospheric vent would be better, but could entail really tearing things up.
  5. Polson

    Polson New Member

    Feb 19, 2008
    Thanks. I'm having trouble figuring out what a "santee" is, can you elaborate a bit or point me to a website? Thanks again!
  6. krow

    krow Plumber

    Feb 11, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I beleive he was referring to a sanitary tee
  7. Cass

    Cass Plumber

    Nov 12, 2005
    Use the Stainless steel banded couplings, not the all rubber couplings with a hose clamp on each end, to connect the new san T set up to the old steel / galvanized pipe.
Similar Threads: steel
Forum Title Date
Toilet Forum discussions Need help installing 3x4 lead drain pipe on 3" steel pipe Mar 15, 2015
Toilet Forum discussions Need your advices.. New stainless steel flange ring is too big May 15, 2014
Toilet Forum discussions Stainless Steel Toilets Nov 16, 2009

Share This Page