Steel of Acrylic Tub

Users who are viewing this thread

JEP

Reaction score
I will be replacing the current steel bathtub in my bathroom. Cast iron is not an option for a few reasons cost etc. My choices are Steel or Acrylic. Is one better than the other? What are the pros and cons?

I know both should be bedded in mortar. What kind of mortar is the best to use?

Thanks John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tubs

The only two advantages to steel are that it is cheap and it is light, so it can be carried easier. I am not very fond of acrylic either, but if those are the only two choices you have, then it is the only one you should use.

JEP

Reaction score
Thanks hj

Excluding cast iron, are there other choices I'm missing that I should be considering?

Thanks John

Sulconst2

Reaction score
316 lbs for the kohler. thats a hump up the stairs. hard enough taking one down. american standard makes an americast tub. solid and lighter. good thing about acrylic, besides being light, is the color goes all the way thru. as long as the tub is installed correctly you would be ok. would not recommend the lasco for your own home. maybe a job were customer wants the something for nothing!

JEP

Reaction score
I know getting the Kohler cast iron tub up the stairs and in place will not be easy, but I'm thinking that down the road I won't be saying I should have. :)

It seems some folks here are not crazy about acrylic and steel tubs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks