Steam Shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am in the process of installing a steam shower in a 5*5 enclosure. Paying a lot of attention to the vapor barrier (Using Kerdi) My questions are:

Vent in the shower enclosure or no?. ...

So when the original rough our was done a number of years back, the contractor installed an inline fantech in the attic above the bathroom. He then tied a ceiling register from this shower enclosure and the toilet enclosure into this unit with Flexi duct. (Not sure if you are supposed to do this or not) So it would be easy to take this out now if not needed. I would naturally only run it after a shower - but I need to seal around the housing if I am leaving it in place.

What Steam generators are you guys seeing as the better units.?

thanks for your help

Vincent

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
My go-to place for things related to tiling showers is www.johnbridge.com .

Drying out a steam shower in between uses is important. SOmewhat depends on whether you can leave the door open afterwards. Not sure about whether it would be a good idea to have the vent in the shower itself...there'd be some condensation, and it could drip cold water back on you during the shower. Depends maybe on where it was placed. Note, the TCNA guidelines call for the ceiling to be sloped so condensation is more likely to slide down, rather than accumulate and drip, so keep that in mind.

Reaction score
@jadnashua Thanks for your input. I am also engaged on the Johnbridge forum - great information there on the tiling side and how to vapor proof the enclosure. I am leaning towards removing the rough in vent while I can and relocating it to the common area of the bathroom. I will then put a transom over the shower door. Even if the fan is not on, I am sure steam will drift up into the duct etc.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks