Steam Shower Remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

Smitny

Reaction score
(Edit: I realized this probably belonged in the Shower and bathtub forum, so I reposted it there.)

Here is my proposed plumbing layout for a shower remodel, including a steam generator.

The p-trap in the foreground is for a 2" shower drain, and the smaller p-trap towards the back is for the drain line from the steam generator. The drain line coming out of the steam generator will be 1/2" copper, and at some point it will 'elbow down' into this drain. The generator is equipped with auto-flush, which means that after every use of the generator (and after a two hour wait for the water temp to cool down) the auto flush valve will open and drain the tank. This same drain line will be connected to the drain pan that the generator sits in.

In the picture, I simply laid a copper pipe with elbow above it on the footer for demonstration.

First of all, does this setup look okay? I have had someone question whether the vent is adequate?

Also, as to how to tie the copper drain line into the abs drain assembly in the background, I was thinking I could either extend the p-trap a couple more inches so it sits directly under the footer, then drill a hole through the footer and extend the copper right through so it sits just above the abs pipe and drains in, OR...

I could extend the p-trap laterally a few more inches so it sits under the closet floor next to the steam generator (see the hole in the sheetrock, that leads to my closet where the steam generator will be located) and then either install an actual floor drain or just have the abs come up through the floor here and 'hover' the copper pipe 3/4" above it.

(In case it's not obvious, there is a constant gradual slope from the shower drain, 'round the bend, and all the way along until it drops into the floor.)

Thanks.

New Plumbing_2.jpg

The picture down below is the plumbing I removed which was for a tub drain, and the shower drain pipe coming in from the right.

Attachments

• Beginning Plumbing_2.jpg
    Beginning Plumbing_2.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 416
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks