Steam pipe leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Cluelessguy

Reaction score
I have a leak coming from the copper male adapter fitting and would like to know if there’s a way for me to patch it or fix it altogether without getting a professional to charge me an arm and a leg? Seems like the threading is causing the leak. I tried pipe thread sealant but it’s still leaking. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Try using X-Pando joint compound or Hercules Block.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Marlinman, I think the o.p. is describing a leak at the threads and wants to apply a 'sealant' on the surface to stop a leak.
my answer: any joint that is under pressure and experiences exp/contr from heat cycles will need to be redone...removal and repaired.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
A braze would fix about any leak.

If you use the goo and it works great, but plan it not working eventually. I which case just replace the joint.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I had a 500gal hot water storage tank supplying a car wash that I couldn't get the threads to stop leaking. I could only fill and test and drain the tank 2x a day and I was getting really frustrated with it. At the same time I was working on another project with a pipe fitter who showed me a trick where he would hammer in a the pencil lead from a contractors pencil into the point where the leak was coming from until the leak stopped..

he also gave me the dregs of his Anaerobic pipe dope which would seal more as it came into contact with water.. I used the dope. But that requires cutting and repairing the cut section after you Think you've gotten the threads sorted out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks