steam boiler radiator return pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

rcdba

Reaction score
I have a steam boiler radiator system. The return line of threaded black pipe in the basement is corroding. I've already spotted a leak. I replaced the part with a new piece and it was full of water. Because I would like to finish the basement, the return piping needs to be replaced. It's quite an investment. Currently, parts of the piping is laying on top of concrete and partially embedded in concrete. It only lasted for 25 years. The current pipe is 1-1/4 diameter.

Is there another material I can use to replace the return pipe. Something better than black pipe. Stainless steel, Cooper ? If so, what grade?

To last longer, I would like to bury (not embed) the pipe under the concrete slab with a waterproof wrapping and surrounded with a gravel bed to keep it dry. Is this possible ?

Also, is it normal to have water in these pipes ? I had to close the water valve to the boiler and drain it? It does have a Hartford Loop.

thanks for looking
Richard

Last edited:

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
With a Hartford Loop that line will hold water. The reason for the loop is to protect the boiler from loosing all of it's water should a leak in the return line happen.

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks