State Tankless Water Heater help please!

Users who are viewing this thread

Jared Kendrick

Reaction score
I have a State tankless propane water heater model # GAX 199P. It was made around 2007 and I was told it was before State made their own heaters but don't know the manufacturer, though I know it's Japanese. Water heater worked fine since we bought the house 6 months ago though it seemed it would occasionally surge temperature down a little while taking a shower. The other day it just quit. With hot running in house it does nothing. No blower, no flame nothing. I know it is getting power to the control board because when I unplugged a line the red light came on. I took the filter out of the incoming line and it was clear. We have soft water and we don't have much problem with scale or corrosion with our water. It is making just a little heat but it seems to be from an electrical heater (maybe anti-freeze) in heat exchanger. I called State's tech line and was told it might be the flow sensor coming into the unit since the blower motor isn't even running but they weren't sure. Any suggestions or anything pointing me in a direction would be greatly appreciated. I cannot afford another water heater now and I think I can fix this one if I can figure out what's going on. Thank you so much for the help!
water heater.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Water heater worked fine since we bought the house 6 months ago though it seemed it would occasionally surge temperature down a little while taking a shower.

You normally need to do preventive maintenance on those.

Is there no Drawing on the inside of the cover ? Is the Fuse good ? Looks like a connector just hanging ? Hard to tell from here.

Is your gas pressure good ?

Good Luck.

Jared Kendrick

Reaction score
You normally need to do preventive maintenance on those.

Is there no Drawing on the inside of the cover ? Is the Fuse good ? Looks like a connector just hanging ? Hard to tell from here.

Is your gas pressure good ?

Good Luck.
Thanks Don. Well, Saturday my wife remembered she bought an insurance policy that covered it when we bought the house. Duh, at least she's good looking I guess. Thanks anyway.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Examine the circuit board, it could be faulty. I would remove it and look on its back side.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Well, Saturday my wife remembered she bought an insurance policy that covered it when we bought the house.

Waiting a day to tell you just made you appreciate her wisdom in buying the policy that much more. :)

AND she's good looking! Sounds like a keeper.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Based on the shape of the exhaust vent at the top it looks like a Takagi TK1 or TK2, but the plumbing connections are in a different place, possibly a TK-Jr? The exploded diagram on p.25 in the TK2 manual (p.24 o the TK-JR) also has a pretty similar arrangement of the major components. It's a bit hard to tell- there have been many revisions and models, but it has the look/feel of a Takagi.

takagi-tk1-tankless-water-heat.jpg
TKjr-276x420.jpg

Are there any LED blinky-blinky indicating an error code? (See p. 16 of the TK2 manual, p17 of the TK-Jr manual.)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks