State 40 gal. Short gas water heater model pr6-40-nqrs

Users who are viewing this thread

Shug

Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying that the unit is 18 years old.

Started having problems a couple months ago. Water would just be lukewarm while showing.

I noticed after checking the tank, that the water heater was basically just sitting in pilot mode. I turned the gas knob on and the tank immediately lit. I thought the problem was solved, but it continues to do this almost everyday.

Question 1. Am I dealing with a bad thermocouple?

2. Would you recommend just changing the whole unit based on its age?

Any help would greatly be appreciated. I am a novice plumber at best...lol
20180612_184341.jpg

Phog

Reaction score
I won't be able help to diagnose your problem, but I would like to point out that in "water heater years" your unit is about 95. I am sure you could get it back to full function with time, effort, and money; but any resources you would expend on fixing it would probably be better applied to a new unit. This one is past its life expectancy and it would be a shame to go to the cost and effort of replacing parts, only to have it start leaking not too long after.

If you end up calling plumbers to get quotes, they will probably try to upsell you on a tankless or condensing tank unit. That would be your call -- you can browse these forums and find pages and pages of discussion on the relative merits. I would like to point out that 40 gallon / 40k BTU natural draft gas heaters are fairly simple to replace, economical, and utterly reliable. You could just buy the exact same style you already have and hook it up to the existing flue, gas, and water connections. The only possible caveat is if your heater is in a tight space -- law changes requires more insulation on new units, which makes them a bit more bulky.

Good luck.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
The label reads 1-1998. Other than being 20 years old and well beyond it's design life, your problem probably is sediment. By this time you could have 1/2 the tank filled with sediment and the flute that runs up the middle could be coated with it. It means heat transfer to the water is very slow and why the heat recovery takes long. Also you maybe heating only 20-30 gals and that is a guess but it's not 40.

With new efficiency requirements and regulations enforced by the Dept of Energy and updated again in 2015, each time the manufactures have to make improvements it's a reason why for them to really up the prices. You might get sticker shock at the cost of a new one. Even if you go to Home Depot. Just be informed that if you hire a plumber to do the install, new codes also have been implemented. You may require an expansion tank to be added, most manufactures now recommend it on there installation manuals. Also new water heater must be placed on a drip pan, even in garages. Lastly, depending on your local code and flood plane, the heater may have to be installed on a stand particularly in a garage where gas fumes can hug the floor. That means changes to the gas line and vent.

Not as simple as it was.
https://www.thisoldhouse.com/how-to/understanding-new-water-heater-regulations

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks