Standpipe for utility room (not washing machine)

Users who are viewing this thread

CheesecakeLover

Reaction score
I have a utility closet in the basement with a furnace and one of the pipes (I think condensate pipe) always drips. I put a bucket on it and have to empty it every week in the summer; every 3 weeks or so in the winter.

I also want to put a dehumidifier in that utility closet and it will have a hose for the condensated waste water.

Anyway, right next to this utiliity closet will be a bathroom group that will drain into an ejector pit. I designed the venting and drainage layout for this bathroom with the help of a paid consultation from a professional plumber and 2 courtesy house visits by my town’s construction official (who is also a licensed plumber and the inspector for plumbing permits).

I have the opportunity now to add a standpipe in the utility closet that will tie in with the drain and vent system of the bathroom group, but I don’t want to bug the C.O. with questions about it, nor do I want to pay for the plumber to come back and give me advice on it. I have learned a lot about venting and drainage over the past few months and I am pretty confident that I can install a standpipe that follows the same pattern as a sink fixture with regard to trap arm length, slope, and ventilation.

What I need help on is knowing about any requirements specific to standpipes. For example, are they allowed in a utility closet for purposes other than a washing machine? Am I allowed to drain both my dripping furnace pipe and my dehumidifier waste into it? How low can it be to the ground? (Lower the better.) Anything else I should know about standpipes for non-washing machine use?

This has been a very helpful forum for me. Thank you.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
How about feeding those through the wall to a branch tailpiece on the lavatory? While those are more common in 1-1/2, they are also available in 1-1/4.

For the dehumidifier, you could get one with a pump, but how about mounting it on a strong shelf high enough to not need a pump?

https://archive.org/stream/gov.law.phcc.nspc.2009/phcc.nspc.2009_djvu.txt may be an older version of the National Standard Plumbing Code (NSPC), which I think NJ uses. I am not a plumber.

CheesecakeLover

Reaction score
How about feeding those through the wall to a branch tailpiece on the lavatory? While those are more common in 1-1/2, they are also available in 1-1/4.

For the dehumidifier, you could get one with a pump, but how about mounting it on a strong shelf high enough to not need a pump?

https://archive.org/stream/gov.law.phcc.nspc.2009/phcc.nspc.2009_djvu.txt may be an older version of the National Standard Plumbing Code (NSPC), which I think NJ uses. I am not a plumber.

That’s possible I suppose, but those are alternatives to my original plan of using a standpipe. Is there something wrong with standpipes that I should know? Btw, thank you for the code link. I’m not sure I completely understsnd everything, but this section seems relevant:
9.3.5 Open-hub Drains

A trapped and vented open-end drain pipe extending not less than 2 inches above the surrounding floor
shall be permitted to serve as a receptor for clear-water wastes.

9.3.6 Minimum Receptor Pipe Size

a. The minimum drain pipe size for an indirect waste receptor shall be at least one pipe size larger than
the indirect waste pipe that it serves.

b. Where a receptor receives indirect drainage from two or more fixtures, the cross-sectional area of the
receptor drain shall be not less than the aggregate cross-sectional area of all indirect waste pipes served by
the receptor. For the purposes of this requirement, 1-1/4" pipe =1.2 in 2 , 1-1/2" pipe = 1.8 in 2 , 2" pipe =
3.1 in 2 , 2-1/2" pipe = 4.9 in 2 , 3" pipe = 7.1 in 2 , 4" pipe = 12.6 in 2 , 5" pipe = 19.6 in 2 , and 6" pipe = 28.3
in 2 .

Reach4

Reaction score
The section you cited seems to clearly allow what you want if you put in a vent connecting 42 inches or more off of the floor to other vents, and 6 inches or more above the top of your new standpipe. It sounds like the standpipe can be much shorter than required for a washer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks