Standpipe clearance for basement drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Grinch

Reaction score
Hi, I have an issue with my water softener/iron filter backwash lines. I am on a septic tank and my WS/filter are in the basement .I want to splice a wye adapter into the drain to install a p trap but code dictates a 18" standpipe. The 3" drain is hung from the floor joists as in the picture and one photo shows that I have 14" from the pipe to the floor , so am I euchered, or is there a way around this? At the moment I drain both machines into my sump but living up here in Ontario I have freezing problems come winter.

IMG_20211224_083207677.jpg
IMG_20211224_083013074.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
You have read that Ontario plumbing code requires an 18 inch standpipe for a softener? It seems possible that requirements for a laundry standpipe don't apply.

1. You could run the drain line to the floor above. Maybe to the laundry standpipe or even to a new standpipe.

2. Probably the line to the septic goes thru the basement wall below the level of the pipe in your pictures. You could probably enter the pipe over there.

Grinch

Reaction score
IMG_20211228_184208083.jpg
You have read that Ontario plumbing code requires an 18 inch standpipe for a softener? It seems possible that requirements for a laundry standpipe don't apply.

1. You could run the drain line to the floor above. Maybe to the laundry standpipe or even to a new standpipe.

2. Probably the line to the septic goes thru the basement wall below the level of the pipe in your pictures. You could probably enter the pipe over there.
The drain pipe doesn't exit the foundation wall low enough to allow a standpipe above it unfortunately. However I did modify the clean-out plug (which is lower)by drilling it out to accept an ABS 1 1/2" pipe "nipple"I made up. (JB weld is my friend here).

So I may add a ptrap & standpipe to this or tee into my sump pump outlet pipe to allow me the option (with some valves) of pumping my water softener/iron filter backwash drain water outside, or to my septic system.(A handy option to have up here in Canada, for the winter).

I placed an empty plastic bottle into the coupling to act as a plug while I wait for my other fittings/valves to arrive.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't particularly like giving up the cleanout. If you could remove the existing fitting with a Rambit etc, you could add on a wye. The side port could be your standpipe, and the straight part could be the new cleanout.

How about the big honker pipe just above there? How far below the ceiling is that?

Grinch

Reaction score
I don't particularly like giving up the cleanout. If you could remove the existing fitting with a Rambit etc, you could add on a wye. The side port could be your standpipe, and the straight part could be the new cleanout.

How about the big honker pipe just above there? How far below the ceiling is that?
That 'big honker pipe' is only an inch lower than the one (the same) shown in my first two photos, the 2 points shown are only about 7 feet apart.

I don't think I'm giving up the cleanout plug, per 'se. If it is needed I can use a strap/pipe wrench to turn it out as I will have a Mission coupling there.
I started to add a new wye fitting adapter like you suggested, but the existing pipe & fitting is tight tight to the wall and cockeyed to boot.... so short of running new pipe through a new penetration I'm sorta stuck...

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't think I'm giving up the cleanout plug, per 'se. If it is needed I can use a strap/pipe wrench to turn it out as I will have a Mission coupling there.
That sounds good.

Grinch

Reaction score
I've finished the routing of some new 1 1/2" abs pipe with two plastic ball valves to allow the sump pump to handle the flush/backwash of my iron filter/water softener machines.If I find my direct drain to daylight freezes up in -20/-30 deg weather I'll just divert it to the septic tank using the valves until spring/thaw.The only thing I may need is an AAV .
The last 2 photos show the 2 valves set to drain directly outdoors, the only 'bad thing' would be If I set both valves to the off/closed position.

Attachments

• IMG_20220108_214910112.jpg
    IMG_20220108_214910112.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_20220108_214835528.jpg
    IMG_20220108_214835528.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:

Grinch

Reaction score
It's been -20 to-30C for the last few weeks so I pulled the 4" pvc pipe away from the house at the point were the sump outlet exits the house to see how much ice had built up inside. ( the 1-1/2" abs pipe just fits loosely inside the 4" PVC for about 4 inches)
No ice buildup at all over a 10 foot run with a 90 degree elbow at the end!
It drops about a foot over the entire length so I wasn't too worried,. but I did expect a little ice....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks