Standing water with Drano in Shower Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

MarcMercury

Reaction score
Alright, so I'm far from a wiz with this stuff, but the shower drain had grown to a crawl I removed the plastic cover and the dirt and crud from it, as it seemed like this was blocking drainage. When that was not the case I plunged the drain and pulled out a bunch of hairballs, which I then assumed was the blockage, but eventually the plunging stopped pulling up anything of notable size, but there still wasn't any drainage. In a bit of stupid desperation I tried pouring liquid drano into the drain. It just mixed with the pool of water, and now I'm not overly eager to try anything hands on. I'm considering funneling some gel drano directly into the drain, but I don't want to if I can help it or if there is a better way of doing it. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would not touch it with the Draino there. That stuff eats skin.

Normally you would go to a hardware store and pick up a hand snake and clear it with that.

ridgid-plumbing-snake.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I would try a medium or small Brasscraft drain bladder. Have a spotter or two to make sure water is not coming up some floor drain, toilet or other low output. I am not a plumber.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
When someone uses Drano I wait 24 hours before sending anyone over to clear the line plus there is an $85. surcharge

I was testifying in court several years ago when someone used a bladder to clean the line "Brasscraft drain bladder" and the bladder blew out and blinded the maintenance man in one eye from the lye

The reason it went to court is the building super asked "any chemicals used in the line and the renter said no

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks