Standard Heights?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mimi78

Reaction score
Could someone tell me a general rule of thumb for the heights on these:
(from finished floor)
1. Shower Head, Spout, Handles (for shower/tub that is 20.5" high)
2. Tile in a shower(since I don't want to go all the way to the ceiling) 8' ceiling
3. Wainscotting
4. Electrical boxes(switches, outlets, etc.)

Also if I don't go all the way to ceiling with the tile, does the shower head come out of the gwb or the tile? Is one more preferable? Thanks.

Last edited:

Sulconst2

Reaction score
1) think its 76" but I go as high as you can. 6-8 above rim for the spout. 42 from floor of tub for handle. diverter instructions should give exact.
2) as high as full tile plus bullnose. save a cut.
3) above your sink backsplash but below your switches/outlet
4) 48" up. or 48 1/2" down so your rock installs easier.
5) tile guy will be happier if its out the rock but looks better out thru the tile

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
IMHO the shower head coming out of the drywall with a nice escutcheon trim looks good. Whichever route you take, don't have the escutcheon half on the sheetrock, and half on the tile. PO did that in my house, looks shoddy.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most vanities are 30", although there are taller ones. More are available in 32", and some people use kitchen base cabinets which usually are 36". If you aren't worried about resale, make it a convenient height for you. For example, the 'standard' for a kitchen counter is 36". That was determined in the fifties for the average woman...hasn't changed since. People are, on average much taller today. I raised mine to about 39", still low for me, but still close enough to "normal". BTW, an ideal work counter (kitchen counter) is 3" below your bent elbow; mine is now still 3-4 inches short, but alot better than what was there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks