Standard height vs ADA/universal toilets

Users who are viewing this thread

speedlever

Reaction score
I recently installed 3 Toto Drakes (CST744EL) and thought the ADA height would be preferred over the standard height toilet. After several weeks in service, I now wish I had ordered the standard height. The standard height seems more comfortable to me (and my wife... and she's nearly 6 ft tall) which surprised us. No one in our house is under 5'8" so I thought the ADA height would be preferred.

It's really hard to gauge how the toilet feels when trying it out in a showroom. But that small height difference made more of a difference than I thought it would.

Anyone else experience this?

speedlever

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. I'm aware of that. But from a comfort perspective, we've found the standard height more comfortable for whatever reason. Just an observation. If I were doing it again, I'd go with standard height.

While I have your attention, I have an installation question. When I installed the toilets, I was unable to keep the closet bolt heads from rotating parallel to the slot in the flange on some of them. They seemed to tighten okay anyway, but not having the oblong closet bolt head square to the slot offends my OCD.

Should I ignore it or fix it? And if I should fix it, how do you keep the bolts from rotating while you tighten them?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is a "trick" to keeping those flange bolts in place. It's so simple you'll whack yourself upside the head. Ready for it? OK, here it is. You invest about $.05 and get two extra nuts. Put the bolts in place, screw the extra nuts down so they hold the bolts not only in place, but upright. And yes, there is plenty of space left for the toilet to fit.

speedlever

Reaction score
Thanks for that tip. At this point, is it worth removing the toilets and doing this fix... or just remember it going forward? We're not having any issues that I'm aware of... other than my OCD being unsettled with an 'improper' installation. ;)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the toilet is down now and you're pretty sure you didn't compromise the wax ring when setting it, I'd leave it alone. Once you set the toilet, you cannot lift it or shift it without the potential of damaging the wax seal...the stuff is not like rubber - it doesn't spring back. Setting the toilet is a one-time thing, when pulled, at least when using wax, you need a new wax ring. There are some reusable materials (wax-free) seals, and they do work when installed properly, but they cost lots more than a simple wax ring.

speedlever

Reaction score
Yeah, I used the Better than Wax rings from Fluidmaster on all 3 toilets, so I can reset them. Just wonder if that's really needed to be done for reasons other than satisfying my OCD. ;)

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
No. The suggestion of extra nuts (and washers) is simply an aid when installing the toilet. Zillions of toilets have been installed without use them.

Reach4

Reaction score
No. The suggestion of extra nuts (and washers) is simply an aid when installing the toilet. Zillions of toilets have been installed without use them.
He is concerned that the T-heads on the closet bolts are aligned with the slots, rather than at right angles to the slots.

speedlever

Reaction score
He is concerned that the T-heads on the closet bolts are aligned with the slots, rather than at right angles to the slots.

Yep, that's it exactly. Should I be concerned about the closet bolts being aligned with the slot vs perpendicular to the slot when tightened down? Is that worth fixing? Or leave well enough alone?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks