Standard depth of shower /tub spout nipple

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by dprocket, Nov 10, 2019.

1. dprocket

dprocket Member

Is there a standard depth of how a nipple should be installed for a shower head and tub spout?

I have a sterling tub surround and a fancy shower/tub valve set (brand is Embather. The picture based documentation is not clear at all.

The valve has a plastic encasing that shows how it should be placed relative to the wall surface. But I'm struggling a bit figuring out how to place the tub spout nipple (using a shark bite drop ear elbow and bringing PEX down from the valve). Should the nipple be flush with the surround surface?

I'm using copper going UP to a shark but drop war elbow to the shower spout. This will come out of the wall through drywall. Again, should the nipple be flush with the drywall?

Lastly, this valve kit has a handheld shower contraption that will be placed above the handle and to the right. Again, I'll run copper up to another drop ear where I have the same question.

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    The tub spout can't have PEX or Sharkbite fittings. Both the PEX and the Sharkbite are too small and will push the water up to the showerhead while filling the tub.

For the Sterling surround, use a copper pipe down from the valve with a drop ear 90. A threaded brass nipple can fit there after the panels are up and a thread on tub spout.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. dprocket

dprocket Member

We'll duh. I've only read this about 5x's on this site. Thanks for the reminder.. I'm a little slow. I really don't know anything about soldering or have any equipment, so maybe I'll look for a threaded brass pipe and a drop ear nipple.

But no problem using PEX up to the shower and the hand held and using shark bite fittings?

Here's a picture of the ends of the waterfall tub spout and the handheld. Still unsure the depth of my nipples, though.

Attached Files:

5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    The installation instructions usually tell you where, in relation to the wall surface, the end of the nipple should be. So, there is no 'standard' length, as your valve installation and shower wall thickness will vary depending on the materials used.

Nipples come in standard lengths, and some places can make one a custom length for you (well, you could do that yourself, but you'd have to buy the die cutting tools). If you can solder, you could use copper tubing and solder a threaded adapter on the end(s) and make it any specific length you wanted.

Three keys to soldering...
    - clean the stuff first!
    - use flux (my preference is a tinning flux...i.e., one with some powdered solder in it)
    - evenly heat the fitting and pipe then add the solder after removing the flame...done right, it will suck the solder into the joint once you got it hot enough (the solder in the tinning flux is a good indicator of when it's hot enough - it will melt)

6. dj2

dj2 In the Trades

I could not resist:
    "I'm a little slow." - and so is Arsenal FC lately...

dprocket likes this.
  7. dprocket

dprocket Member

I was able to find a 9" threaded brass nipple that I plan to use to go from Valve to Tub Spout. I have never soldered and would prefer not to learn today.

Is it ok to go PEX up from the valve to the shower head and also the handheld and use my 1/2" SharkBite fittings?

8. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Yes. Use a solidly attached drop ear elbow up top.

[​IMG]

dprocket likes this.