Standard depth of shower /tub spout nipple

Users who are viewing this thread

Dprocket

Reaction score
Is there a standard depth of how a nipple should be installed for a shower head and tub spout?

I have a sterling tub surround and a fancy shower/tub valve set (brand is Embather. The picture based documentation is not clear at all.

The valve has a plastic encasing that shows how it should be placed relative to the wall surface. But I'm struggling a bit figuring out how to place the tub spout nipple (using a shark bite drop ear elbow and bringing PEX down from the valve). Should the nipple be flush with the surround surface?

I'm using copper going UP to a shark but drop war elbow to the shower spout. This will come out of the wall through drywall. Again, should the nipple be flush with the drywall?

Lastly, this valve kit has a handheld shower contraption that will be placed above the handle and to the right. Again, I'll run copper up to another drop ear where I have the same question.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The tub spout can't have PEX or Sharkbite fittings. Both the PEX and the Sharkbite are too small and will push the water up to the showerhead while filling the tub.

For the Sterling surround, use a copper pipe down from the valve with a drop ear 90. A threaded brass nipple can fit there after the panels are up and a thread on tub spout.

delta-lahara-06.jpg

delta-lahara-02.jpg

Dprocket

Reaction score
The tub spout can't have PEX or Sharkbite fittings. Both the PEX and the Sharkbite are too small and will push the water up to the showerhead while filling the tub.

For the Sterling surround, use a copper pipe down from the valve with a drop ear 90. A threaded brass nipple can fit there after the panels are up and a thread on tub spout.

delta-lahara-06.jpg

delta-lahara-02.jpg
We'll duh. I've only read this about 5x's on this site. Thanks for the reminder.. I'm a little slow. I really don't know anything about soldering or have any equipment, so maybe I'll look for a threaded brass pipe and a drop ear nipple.

But no problem using PEX up to the shower and the hand held and using shark bite fittings?

Here's a picture of the ends of the waterfall tub spout and the handheld. Still unsure the depth of my nipples, though.

Attachments

• IMG_20191110_140136319.jpg
    IMG_20191110_140136319.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 402

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The installation instructions usually tell you where, in relation to the wall surface, the end of the nipple should be. So, there is no 'standard' length, as your valve installation and shower wall thickness will vary depending on the materials used.

Nipples come in standard lengths, and some places can make one a custom length for you (well, you could do that yourself, but you'd have to buy the die cutting tools). If you can solder, you could use copper tubing and solder a threaded adapter on the end(s) and make it any specific length you wanted.

Three keys to soldering...
- clean the stuff first!
- use flux (my preference is a tinning flux...i.e., one with some powdered solder in it)
- evenly heat the fitting and pipe then add the solder after removing the flame...done right, it will suck the solder into the joint once you got it hot enough (the solder in the tinning flux is a good indicator of when it's hot enough - it will melt)

Dprocket

Reaction score
I was able to find a 9" threaded brass nipple that I plan to use to go from Valve to Tub Spout. I have never soldered and would prefer not to learn today.

Is it ok to go PEX up from the valve to the shower head and also the handheld and use my 1/2" SharkBite fittings?

Markmorgan.email

Reaction score
I have a question that relates to tub spout nipples, but it relates to finding adapters from a drop-ear elbow to 1/2 inch copper pipe that is required for slip-on spouts.

Specifically, I bought a tub spout that is designed to slip on to a 1/2 inch diameter copper pipe that needs to extend 3 inches into the tub. I don't have the copper, because I don't want to solder if I can avoid it. The plumbing behind the wall consists of a threaded drop-ear elbow, which requires a 1/2 inch threaded brass nipple. The outer diameter of the brass nipple is significantly larger that the the outer diameter of a 1/2 copper pipe, so I know I cannot connect the spout fixture directly to the brass nipple. The diameters are too different.

My question is: is there an adapter that will screw into the drop-ear on one end (inside the wall), and be smooth and thin like copper pipe on the other end, to receive the slip-on spout?

Thanks,

Mark

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
My question is: is there an adapter that will screw into the drop-ear on one end (inside the wall), and be smooth and thin like copper pipe on the other end, to receive the slip-on spout?

Thanks,

Mark

Solder a male adapter onto copper pipe that is too long and after tile cut it to the length you need.
You can't use a sharkbite there, as it reduces the flow and you can't have that. It's also impossible to remove and replace later on the tub spout.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks