Stand alone dishwasher help

Users who are viewing this thread

DanD79

Reaction score
So I’ve read a few posts on this but I’m still somewhat confused. I’m remodeling an old house and it doesn’t have a dishwasher. I also can’t put the dishwasher beside my sink. I have a 36” sink base, then a 48x36 corner cabinet and then my dishwasher. Is it best to run a high loop behind the dishwasher and then underneath the corner cabinet and back up through the sink base to the top of the kitchen sink ptrap? Or would I be better off putting a ptrap behind the dishwasher and tieing into the kitchen sink stack in the basement? If I do this do I need to have an airgap if I’m still tieing into the sink stack or does it have to be behind the dishwasher or do I not need one at all? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stuff

Reaction score
Go with hj's recommendation. You will find that they sell dishwasher extension hoses just for this purpose.

Reach4

Reaction score
So do I need to make a high loop behind the dishwasher first or where it would drop down and back up to above the trap would be ok?
High near the trap is the common place.

Stuff

Reaction score
I always heard that with a long run you want to go up first so that gravity will help empty the line to the trap, not back to the dishwasher.

DanD79

Reaction score
Hmmm. Well if I loop it behind the dishwasher then I have to go up again to run it underneath the countertop. Then drop down to the trap. Or just run it up to below the countertop from the dishwasher then drop it down and back up to the trap. I don’t know which is better.

Stuff

Reaction score
PA statewide is on IRC 2015 now which is still only saying high loop. There may be local amendments as the Allegheny county health department added that an air gap OR a high loop is needed for domestic dishwashers.

From IRC:
Screen Shot 2018-11-12 at 2.51.55 PM.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks