Stains on grout

Users who are viewing this thread

Robert busch

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum. I just wanted to ask you all, is there any good product which can get that orange hard water stains out of white grout. I am having a hard time getting it off from my bathroom. I had my toilet remodeled about 3 years ago. We have a decorative panel of white tile with white grout over the bathtub.
We have very hard water, and I always seem to have an orange or peach haze forming on the tile and the grout.
The water here is known for being hard, and has a scent of chlorine, especially during the summer.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Bill M Angelo

BILL ANGELO
Reaction score
Cementitious grout is porous and can absorb stains. For this reason, many of the home owners choose to seal their grout. Have you used this while remodelling your bathroom?
Anyway, it is better to clean grout with an alkaline cleaner (Spic and Span, Mr Clean, etc.) than the acid base cleaner. This is because acids have possible reactions with grout, which can damage it in the long run. I have been told this by my friend who works for a cleaning service company in Oakville. I have made this mistake a thousand times and was pretty much late when I got to know this. You can get special cleaners solely for tiles and grouts. There are also cleaners with enzymes that attack stains similar to enzyme pre-soaks for laundry. An important tip is not to use a wax or oil based cleaner (Murphy's Oil soap, Pine Sol, etc.). These products will leave an oily film on the grout surface. The absolute best way to clean grout is to apply the cleaner and then vacuum up the dirty water. This lifts the dirt off. Then Apply rinse water and vacuum that water up. This lifts off any remaining soap film. You can also seek the help of tile installers who can remove even the hardest stain with ease.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Pink could be a type of mold, but that tends to mostly grow on top of the tile, not in it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks