Stainless Steel sink install

Users who are viewing this thread

Jwhitman

Reaction score
I am having trouble installing a stainless steel sink bought from webstaurantstore its 16 x 20 x 12"
It installs with screws welded on the bottom of the rim, once placed on the countertop the screw go through with nut on the bottom. The problem is the edge of the sink sits with a gap of 3/16-1/4" to the countertop. I called and asked the seller if a seal was available and I was told no, inquiring further lead to comments that these sinks are to be installed by a professional plumbers. I 've installed many sinks, but this gap seems to extreme for putty or silicone. Is there a special seal made, or just a standard seal material used on this type of sink. It seems like this might be called a marine edge, but I am not certain.( Not a professional plumber) This gap between the countertop and sink is not accidental it is intentional. Any advice from a professional or anyone who experienced this problem would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sink_pic.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Can you cut out space for those nuts that are preventing the sink from coming down more?

Mliu

Reaction score
A sink like that is not supposed to be mounted with its edge sitting on top of the counter. It should be flush or recessed. These types of commercial sinks are often welded on-site into stainless drainboards.

Jwhitman

Reaction score
The screws are not the problem. They aren’t bottoming out and the nuts are clear. Can I router a 1/4” notch around the countertop sink hole so it will drop flat, but still sit flush on the very outside edge?

Mliu

Reaction score
Can I router a 1/4” notch around the countertop sink hole so it will drop flat, but still sit flush on the very outside edge?
Of course, assuming the counter is of an appropriate material. Realize that you will have a caulk line around your sink.

Reach4

Reaction score
Can I router a 1/4” notch around the countertop sink hole so it will drop flat, but still sit flush on the very outside edge?
Are you talking about the bottom outer edge of the sink sitting flush with the counter, or the top outer edge of the sink sitting flush with the counter? That second one would seem to call for a lot more precision.

Jwhitman

Reaction score
Of course, assuming the counter is of an appropriate material. Realize that you will have a caulk line around your sink.
I do not think there is any other choice. It is a laminate countertop, so the outermost edge with rest on the countertop and if I rolled up some plumbers putty and tucked it into the rounded underside would that not also help the seal?

Jwhitman

Reaction score
Are you talking about the bottom outer edge of the sink sitting flush with the counter, or the top outer edge of the sink sitting flush with the counter? That second one would seem to call for a lot more precision.
I was referring to the outside edge sitting on top of the counter. The inside portion would be fitted into the 1/4" cut away. Also perhaps, I can roll up some plumbers putty to tuck into the underside of the rounded edge. Then a bead of silicone between the lip and the countertop. Is seems like outer edge was flush with the countertop it would trap water and be impossible to keep water from seeping down. This is a laminate counter top so there are not many options.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks