Staining oak cabinets

Users who are viewing this thread

Widgeonus

Reaction score
I am having my oak cabinets refinished and was told that it was a bad idea to stain them with any type of "red" colored stain (cherry, mahogany, etc.) due to the wood grain turning black. Any truth to this or has anyone done so and have pictures of the results?

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
I am having my oak cabinets refinished and was told that it was a bad idea to stain them with any type of "red" colored stain (cherry, mahogany, etc.) due to the wood grain turning black. Any truth to this or has anyone done so and have pictures of the results?

Nonsense.

Minwax Cherry stain, which is not red by the way, will hold up just fine. They also used to make a really 'red' colored stain, which had a tendency to fade quite a bit after time. I don't recall the name of that one.

As long as your refinisher takes the old finish off completely, you should not have a problem, especially if he's going to use lacquer over the stain. Of course the sides of the cabinets may well be veneered plywood, in which case trying to remove the old stain will most likely result in removing the whole grain...........

HE

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If you are just trying to avoid removing the cabinets have you thought of refacing them...

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Oak is friendly to stain, but to some extent, any stain can exagerate the grain in wood. Use a pre-stain sealer to even out the finish.

Any time I am planning a project involving staining wood, I set up a "test kitchen". Several pieces of the wood in question. Try different combos of with/without sealer, different set time before wipe, different stain colors, etc. ( Mark the back of each sample with what you did ). This way, I know what the project will look like .

Widgeonus

Reaction score
The cabinets are being stripped with chemicals to get the "honey" glossy color off of them. Then my cabinet guy is going to restain them. He said that any "red" color stain will make the grains in the oak look black. Here is a picture of what the door looks like after he restained one of my doors. I would like more of a red tint instead of the brown. The door looks great just not the tint I was expecting.

Attachments

• door2.jpg
    door2.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 6,213
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks