Stagnant Water in Branch Pipe Going to the Pressure Tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

Roger Smith

Reaction score
Hi All - I am redoing all of the plumbing in an older house. We plan on getting rid of all the galvi and replacing it with either copper or PEX. My question is regarding the 1-1/2" pipe going from the primary system to the pressure tank (we are on a domestic well). The layout of the garage and the other fixtures require that this pipe be about 4' long. But, there will be little or no circulation of the water in this pipe. Do I have to worry about this water stagnating?

Here is a link to a diagram of the plumbing: "https://imgur.com/3gId00B"

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That water is not stagnant! When the pump runs to pressurize the system, water gets added and stored in the tank. When you use water, the bladder in the tank pushes that water out under pressure, then, when the pressure drops enough, the pump comes back on, pushing water back into the tank. The water gets exchanged, or at least mixed, every time your pump runs, and some of it is what comes out of your faucets. The bladder tank doesn't 'make' pressure, but it stores the water under pressure that was created by your pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks