Stacking leak - Can I build a high loop?

Users who are viewing this thread

Canada_DIY_Plumber

Reaction score
The reno challenge today is trying to set the height of the showerhead high enough so that it won't drip water while trying to fill the tub.

We bought a deep tub (23" to the shelf of the tub) and my wife is 5' tall so she would like the shower head as low as I am willing to go. She does not want one of those vertical slider bars - just a normal head on a hose attached to a spout from the wall.

I bought the M-Core 3 series valve with the tub spout pre-fabricated.
https://www.moen.com/products/U140XS-PF

So I'm adding this up...
All distances from the floor:
~23.5" to the top/shelf of the tub (about 1" below the top of the tiling flange)
4" spacing to the center of the spout from the tub
9.5" spacing to center of valve body from tub spout
= 37"

If I set the shower head at 74", that gives me 37" between the valve body and showerhead which is a far cry from the 46" they recommend and might not provide enough head to prevent a drip.

I could get a shut-off valve on the showerhead but that's a little annoying.

Is there any reason I couldn't install a "high loop"? In other words, I would run the shower line all the way to the top of the plumbing wall (about 90" in height which gets me 53" above the valve body,) and then I'd make a u-turn and drop down to the shower head.

This is described here:
https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/64037/water-dripping-from-shower-head

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is no reason why you can't do that. Just pipe it so it drains when shut off.

Reach4

Reaction score
If the diameter of the pipe from the valve to the spout is reduced (such as using pex to the spout), that can cause increased pressure and showerhead drip.

If you use a shower diverter tee called a "twin ell" to split the supply between the spout, that symptom would not happen.

If you used a regular tee to split the path close to the spout, that would probably be good enough.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks