Stacking inlets on stack...is there a limit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ivan Blackford

Reaction score
Hi All, I apologize if my question is simple or has been answered before...I did look for similar questions, but I couldn't find what i was looking for.

I'm in Ontario, so my question pertains to what is legal in the province of Ontario, Canada.

I'm cutting out a section of copper stack in the basement of a single story home and replacing it with ABS. I have a number of fixtures to attach to the 3" stack, and I would like to know if there are any restrictions or considerations. In the image below, RED = upstairs washing machine (2"), Yellow = upstairs sink (1.5"), Green = upstairs bathtub (1.5"), Blue = upstairs toilet (3").

The Blue and Green paths are exact copies of what is currently connected to the copper stack. The Yellow and Red paths are new. I plan to spin the wyes and tee on the stack such that I minimize the bends from the fixture to the stack, and to prevent the pipes from interfering with each other. The washing machine, sink, and bathtub are all vented via branch vents. The toilet is using the stack as a vent. Is what I propose allowed? If so, are there any other considerations to be made?

Thanks, Ivan

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-15 at 10.03.34 AM.jpeg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can stack up vented drains however you like. What's draining into the top of the top san-tee that is venting the WC?

Cheers, Wayne

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
The upstairs bathtub would be better with a 2" drain. I'm not sure of your code with 1 1/2".

Ivan Blackford

Reaction score
There is nothing venting above the top san-tee, I think there are some vent connections before it exits the roof, but it's a dry vent above the top san-tee.

I'm working with a lot of existing plumbing, converting it to ABS from copper. Many of the copper horizontal drain lines are showing pinhole leaks. I don't have a lot of freedom to increase the pipe diameter to 2" for the bathroom sink. I don't believe that's necessary by the code in Ontario. 2" is for sure code for washing machines and showers, from what I know. The vent connection, trap, and tub have all been switched to 1.5" ABS, which is connected to the 1.5" copper a few inches from the tub with a rubber slip fitting. This will all be changed to ABS.

Thanks all for your guidance!
Ivan

Ivan Blackford

Reaction score
One last question...

Is it legal for me to connect an upside-down san-tee above my toilet san-tee in order to create another branch vent? Something like the picture below?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 96

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, at least 6" above the flood rim of all the fixtures being vented through that fitting (side and bottom entries).

Cheers, Wayne

Ivan Blackford

Reaction score
Ah, ok...so since the upstairs toilet flood rim is well above the basement, i'm stymied in trying to pull off another branch vent from the basement...I'd have to go further up.

Thanks, Ivan

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The size of the drain line depends on the number of fixture units it ultimately has to drain. So, adding more to that stack may or may not work, depends on what the total fixture units it then must support.

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
The bathroom lavatory drain can be 1 1/2", it is the tub &/or shower that needs 2". I have used a short piece of copper (smaller OD) to get through a title spot and connected both ends to plastic with the proper banded coupling.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks