Sta-Rite HMSE - FL Pump not Priming / Pumping

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life.' started by TPerk, Mar 25, 2018.

1. TPerk

TPerk New Member

Although I am a multi-talented handyman, I do not know much about well stuff.

This home irrigation pump and well are 10 yrs old. Pump is located in my garage. The 2 PVC lines which I suppose go to the well have to travel roughly 75 ft under the house to the well in the front yard. The well digger's receipt says he "dug 150' 2" well, supplied deep well jet and casing (?...hard to read), adaptor, 1 HP 2 Stage Sta Rite pump, tank, and controls." The pump is a Model HMSE-FL. Pictures attached.

I do not know what it does or where the jet is.
    I do not know why there are two lines to the well.
    I am not sure of how to prime it. For past 9 years has always "self-primed."

What I DID do.......
    I closed the output valve, powered the pump off, removed the expansion tank, and poured 8 gallons of water into the gurgling system . I suppose the pump is basically working because I put my hand over the opening for the expansion tank, turned on the pump, and the pressure pushed my hand away and spurted out water for about 5 seconds. I could also see the pressure gauge momentarily go to somewhere around 40 PSI.

So I put a few more gallons of water into the system, charged tank to 35 PSI, reinstalled the tank, powered up the pump and got no water or pressure.

Any help will be appreciated.

Overview.JPG 1 Pump & Motor Label2.jpg

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. TPerk

TPerk New Member

Thanks Reach,

After some Youtube research I am now a well pump expert! Just kidding but I am a lot more informed.

Although about 12 Gal of water did not prime the system, when I hooked my garden hose to one of the ports and filled the system up until the pressure gauge read 40 PSI, it now works. So I think the only question at this point is why did it lose its prime. I understand the possibilities, but whatever is wrong must be kind of minor at this point. I ran the pump for about an hour, let it sit and it still has pressure now, about an hour later.

Maybe at the end of this coming season I will evacuate the irrigation lines as usual, close the pump output valve, and leave the pump powered up. Will be interesting to see how often, if at all, it turns on to keep pressure.

CASE CLOSED!.........or at least postponed.