Sta-Rite DS3HF-01 intermittently tripping breakers

Users who are viewing this thread

Scott Amendolaro

Reaction score
My Sprinkler pump recently started intermittently tripping breakers on startup. When it does start pump runs it is working fine .

I have noticed that the pump is buzzing pretty loud for sometime 5-10 seconds before the breaker trips. I looked at my TED monitor while this happened and it looks like the pump was drawing 10kw for 13+ seconds (@ 240) before the trip. When I reset and restart that delay is often about 4-5 seconds before it starts. So it definitely looks like the amp pull is causing it.

Not sure at this point if its the motor or the Cap and thought I would ask here what you thought before I went and bought a new motor.

The DS3HF is about 7 years old , running on an artisan well .

Thanks

Scott

(Below is a look at the Sprinkler pump turning on and when the breaker trips. Each dot is a second

breaker trip.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I have noticed that the pump is buzzing pretty loud for sometime 5-10 seconds before the breaker trips. I looked at my TED monitor while this happened and it looks like the pump was drawing 10kw for 13+ seconds (@ 240) before the trip. When I reset and restart that delay is often about 4-5 seconds before it starts. So it definitely looks like the amp pull is causing it.

Not sure at this point if its the motor or the Cap and thought I would ask here what you thought before I went and bought a new motor.
Was the pump running during the high current draw? If no, replace the capacitor.

Scott Amendolaro

Reaction score
Was the pump running during the high current draw? If no, replace the capacitor.

No , when it runs the current draw is normal.

Thanks, I'll pick up a CAP .

It had a NGM 680171-007 189-227uf 110 in it . Couldn't find an OEM replacement so ordered a similar MARS2 11915 for $5.

I'll let you know how things go.

Scott Amendolaro

Reaction score
Usually burning a start cap means you are cycling the pump on/off too much. That start cap is only used during a start, so too many starts?

Depends what too many looks like , We are water restricted here ( since I've been here) so during the summer it only starts 4 times a week and during thee winter 2 times . The Relay actually went bad several weeks earlier but I could hear the long startup times long before that . I have had a near-lightning strike 2 years ago which damaged some equipment in the home , the pump wasn't one of them but it could have contributed

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks