Squealing shower

Users who are viewing this thread

kayre

Reaction score
What causes a high pitched squealing noise when I turn the hot water on in my shower? I have recently had the faucet fixtures and the shower head changed and had no noise problems with the old fixtures. It only occurs when the water comes out of the shower head, and only when the hot water is turned on. This new fixture does not allow a change in the water pressure, just an adjustment from cold to hot. The noise sometimes goes away after a couple minutes, but occasionally stays there during the entire shower, and is extremely annoying. I'd like to know if investing in and replacing the shower head would help. Thank you.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would check the pressure with a gauge that screws onto a hose bibb.
They are commonly available and inexpensive. The reading should be less than 80 PSI.

I would also try a different showerhead. I have see some that were real screamers. It probably is just the showerhead.

shower-head-aerator-1.jpg

Sometimes it's the aerator to the shower head. Taking a drill and making the hole a bit larger can change the vibration and change the squeal to a quieter rush of water.
added by Terry Love

shower-head-aerator-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

loafer

Mechanical Engineer
Reaction score
We have a shower that does the same thing. In our case it's the tub faucet that is making the noise. The little diverter valve in the tub faucet that you pull up to switch the water flow from the tub faucet to the shower head is the problem; If I stick my finger up in there and press against the the little gate valve the noise will stop. The noise showed up on mine when replacing the faucet with a cheapo from Home Depot.

What causes a high pitched squealing noise when I turn the hot water on in my shower? I have recently had the faucet fixtures and the shower head changed and had no noise problems with the old fixtures. It only occurs when the water comes out of the shower head, and only when the hot water is turned on. This new fixture does not allow a change in the water pressure, just an adjustment from cold to hot. The noise sometimes goes away after a couple minutes, but occasionally stays there during the entire shower, and is extremely annoying. I'd like to know if investing in and replacing the shower head would help. Thank you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks