Squealing Moen Tub Spout or Shower Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Davidhmd

Reaction score
Recently installed new Moen POSI-TEMP (2570) Tub/Shower Valve, and Moen Brantford style tub spout.

From day 1, there has been a very loud squeal/whistle when you turn on the water to the tub.

At first I thought it was the valve, and I haven't closed up the walls yet, but now I'm relatively sure, the sound is coming from the tub spout.

Can I correct the problem myself, or do I need to choose a different style spout?

Installation details. All new copper plumbing, shower valve, valve trim, and tub spout, reused previous hand-held shower head. Shower head never whistled before, so confident that's not the problem.

It doesn't squeal if you engage the shower diverter before you turn on the water and if you didn't pre-engage it, it stops squealing as soon as you do engage it.

Tub spout slides over pipe and is held in place by clamp tightened with allen wrench.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Fiddle with some other faucets to see if you can duplicate the squeal..it could be from elsewhere, like the pressure regulator.

Davidhmd

Reaction score
Squeal only occurs with tub spout. All other sink faucets and toilets are normal.

Tub doesn't squeal if you engage the shower diverter before turning on the water.

If the pressure regular is that big WATTs cylinder near my water heater, can you explain how to properly set the pressure? I installed it. I still have the instructions and I know the inlets and outlets are hooked up correctly, but I never really understood how to set the pressure.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That could be a PRV, or something else. If it has a bolt out one end with a nut locking it in position, that's probably a PRV. Before you adjust anything, get a screw-in pressure gauge - attach it to say the WH, a hose bib, or washing machine and check the pressure. If it is a prv, and needs to be adjusted, you loosen the nut and turn the bolt in or out to raise or lower the pressure. When they get worn out, the pressure can rise rather than being stable (as it can if you don't have an expansion tank, if you have a PRV, or it is bad, too).

Some diverter tub spouts just aren't the best and can make that squeal, but it usually takes awhile for the seal to wear before it happens. High pressure can do weird things, though.

2507FJ

Reaction score
Website
hubpages.com
I was looking for a post about valve wrench and found this one. It wasn't what I was looking for but good info anyway.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks