Squeaky Hansgrohe shower valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Tfield98

Reaction score
Our two-year old HansGrohe shower valve works fine, but has begun to squeak when we turn the flow lever.

Any suggestions?

Is this a DIY project to repair?

Shower.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris@HGTechnical

Technical Guru
Reaction score
Website
www.hansgrohe-usa.com
Hello,

The squeaking from the cartridge is due to the dissipation of the lubrication between the ceramic disc inside of the cartridge. Please give me a call at 1-800-334-0455 extension 6960 and we will resolve this matter promptly for you.

Kind Regards,
Chris in the Hansgrohe North America Technical Support Department.

hansgrohe-solaris-trim.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Balanvic

Reaction score
Hello,

The squeaking from the cartridge is due to the dissipation of the lubrication between the ceramic disc inside of the cartridge. Please give me a call at 1-800-334-0455 extension 6960 and we will resolve this matter promptly for you.

Kind Regards,
Hi,
I have the same HansGrohe shower valve. Can I change it to a new one? Please recommend which one, since I can't find exactly the same one.
Thank you in advance,
Victoria

Neil Binda

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hello,

Kind Regards,

You sure it has nothing to do with the check valves being clogged ?

Neil Binda

In the Trades
Reaction score
Neil , Mr Chris doesn't appear very active in the last 11 years only making a single post give him a call hope squeak stops

Thanks Jeff.

I was replying to the client who had recent issues. I had no idea I had replied to a post that was 11 years old until you mentioned it LOL DOH!

Balanvic

Reaction score
Thanks Jeff.

I was replying to the client who had recent issues. I had no idea I had replied to a post that was 11 years old until you mentioned it LOL DOH!
Hi Neil,

Thank you so much for replying to me. I found out the trim model number and now will just have to open it up to see what valve i actually have inside (hopefully it's an Ibox so i can just switch the trim to something newer). Having someone coming tomorrow to check and see if we can just clean it up without having to replace the whole system. I will keep you posted, for those who might have a similar issue, i'm sure there are not many left.

Sorry for opening up 11 year old question. I guess this is how old my system is :)

Regards,
Victoria

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi Neil,

Thank you so much for replying to me. I found out the trim model number and now will just have to open it up to see what valve i actually have inside (hopefully it's an Ibox so i can just switch the trim to something newer). Having someone coming tomorrow to check and see if we can just clean it up without having to replace the whole system. I will keep you posted, for those who might have a similar issue, i'm sure there are not many left.

Sorry for opening up 11 year old question. I guess this is how old my system is :)

Regards,
Victoria
shower valves tend to stay in wall for half a century sometimes more . but 30 years is pretty normal most are brought back to like new condition with a cartridge change , but I haven't worked on a Hans Grohe in ages and can't say if they are prone to problems requiring a complete replacement or have any info on their quirks

Ronster1

Reaction score
Hi Neil,

Regards,
Victoria
Hi Victoria,
I for one am glad you opened this old thread, because I have the same shower faucet and cannot find any info about it anywhere! My problem is the temperature control knob is extremely difficult to turn, so I thought if I could just clean it out a bit, it would help. I found the set screw and removed it, but it has proved a challenge to remove the handle. Maybe I need to apply a bit more elbow grease? I obviously do not want to break anything. Does it simply pull off? May I ask if/how you were able to dismantle it? Thanks!

Ron

Quickshoe

Reaction score
Hi Victoria,
I for one am glad you opened this old thread, because I have the same shower faucet and cannot find any info about it anywhere! My problem is the temperature control knob is extremely difficult to turn, so I thought if I could just clean it out a bit, it would help. I found the set screw and removed it, but it has proved a challenge to remove the handle. Maybe I need to apply a bit more elbow grease? I obviously do not want to break anything. Does it simply pull off? May I ask if/how you were able to dismantle it? Thanks!

Ron
Google brought me to this old thread with the same issue regarding difficult to remove handle. I've removed the set screw. I have removed all the visible scaling with vinegar. I can not get the handle to come off with force I'm comfortable applying. It seems to hit a hard stop when the diverter handle edge farthest from the wall is about even with the temp control knob. Not sure if it needs to get over a snap ring, o-ring or what's going on. I'm trying to apply even pressure and not removing at an angle. Does the diverter handle need to be in a specific position? Help! Thank you.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Once the Allen screw is removed, you should be able to wiggle the handle off he splines of the cartridge stem.
3 mm Allen wrench (included with trim kit)

Instructions

hansgrohe-solaris-trim-2.jpg

hansgrohe-solaris-trim-parts.jpg

hansgrohe-88586000.jpg

Last edited:

Quickshoe

Reaction score
Thanks. More vinegar and time to soak. Perhaps some scaling on the cartridge splines because it's not coming off. Thanks for the cartridge pic. Let's me see what I can't see.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks