Squeaking toilet...could it also be leaking?

Users who are viewing this thread

reneelw

Reaction score
I live in a second floor condo and am not at all handy. :confused:

For weeks, my toilet has been squeaking and squealing. I tighted up a screw in the tank and it stopped for several days, but it started up again this morning. I tried to tighten the screw again, but I couldn't get the squealing and whistling to stop. Does this sound like an issue with the fill tank valve? Also, my neighbors from downstairs called, and something in my bathroom is leaking. The water spot is not directly under the toilet, sink or shower. Is it possible that the fill tank valve issue is now causing the leaking? Please help!! Thanks very much. :)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You could have two problems. Some toilet fill valves do tend to be noisey when they get old. What did you actually tighten?

Water can flow a long ways, so it could be tough to find without tearing out some stuff. The easier thing to tear out is the ceiling...much more costly to tear out floors. Some drywall and paint and the ceiling can be back to normal. On a floor, it tear off the finished floor, cut holes in the subflooring, look around, tear more off. Find the leak and fix it, then repair the floor, and try to restore the finished floor. If it is carpeting, it might be easier, since you can pull it back then restretch it back. But wood, tile, or even vinal, you'll be probably replacing things since patching is tough and keeping it looking good.

Note, the water could be from a supply or a drain. It could be at a valve, leaks from aroud the shower or tub, or numerous other places.

It's fairly easy to remove the typical toilet, and you might be lucky to find a leak there...I say lucky, because it would negate the requirement to tear up ceilings.

Read your condo bylaws carefully...in many, the plumbing in the floor may be common asset...the association may have to fix it.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Does the toilet move at all? If it does, it is probably leaking from the seal. For a wax seal on a toilet to survive, it cannot be moved once set.

reneelw

Reaction score
Thanks Jim! I appreciate your insight and the quick response.

To answer your questions - the toilet does not move, it's rock solid and not going anywhere. The toilet is relatively new - I bought this place last June and am the first owner. The builder put them on the market in 2002/2003.

As for what I tightened, I have no idea. :) My best description: it was the screw that is at the top of the "arm" leading to the floaty thing. Clear as mud?

I temporarily turned the water off, as well. Not sure if that's a good thing or doesn't matter at this point.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
You can buy a new fill valve for the toilet for less than $10. The instructions are on the box. Korky Quietfill or a Fluidmaster 400A are both easy to install, and will last a long time. That is unlikely to fix a leak, though...probably two different problems. The noise could easily be from the seal on yours not quite turning off fully. Now, this could be caused by the flapper valve leaking, requiring it to constantly be adding a small amount of water.

reneelw

Reaction score
Jim,
you've been great. I'll give your suggestion a try and will seek out the product you recommended. As for the leak, I'll leave that to the pros - I have a call in to the plumbers. I appreciate your wisdom and quick replies.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks