Square D 40/60 pressure switch, oops…

Users who are viewing this thread

TonyJames

Reaction score
I had to replace my pressure switch for my well and was replacing with a square D 40/60. I noticed the well was cutting off near 70psi and I wanted to turn it down. Dumb me didn’t kill power and was using an adjustable wrench. The wrench made contact with the live switch and, you guessed it…it sparked and the breaker tripped.

I reset everything and the switch seems to be working fine, but from the flash would there be any damage to the switch which may cause it to fail? It appears there is a slight amount of build up on the far right contact. To summarize the point of the post, do I need to replace the pressure switch (again) due to what happened?

Thanks in advance for the guidance!

Reach4

Reaction score
I would not replace the switch.

Normally you only turn the nut on the big spring. About 3.5 psi CCW drops the settings about 10 psi.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yeah your gauge is probably stuck at 20-30 PSI. Switch was probably doing what it was supposed to do. Sparking usually burns off the tab that holds the contacts in place. It can also smoke the points on one side. I would replace it. Using a 3/8 nut driver is the only safe way to adjust it with the power on.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks