Sprinkler wiring problem

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYer Dave

Reaction score
I replaced my sprinkler valve and wrote down my wiring diagram. Unfortunately, the paper was apparently thrown away by mistake.

Ive tried various wiring options but none work properly. One strand of wired include a blue wire and a brown wire. The other side of that strand include a blue wire and a white wire. There are also a green wire and res wire that have never been spliced so they were never inline on the connection. I am trying to figure out which wires go together along with connecting the new valve. When I hook the brown to the white, the station where the valve is comes on. Problem is none of the other stations will come back on until I get this wiring correct. FYI, it was all working before I disconnected to replace the valve.

Thanks in advance.

WorthFlorida

New Chemotherapy, Enhertu. Started June 20, 2024
Solutions
Reaction score
Don't let the wife know.

You need to look at the controller terminals. Usually the white wire is the common and it maybe terminated on the "C" terminal. Each zone may have its own color as from your descirption. Activate the zone valve at the controller and you'll have about 24v ac. You should get a reading on one of the wires at the new valve. Follow the colors in this situation.

There is no polarity connecting the solenoid. Either way it will work. Connecting the brown and white maybe a short Since the brown wire may have voltage on it when the controller is activated. Is there a wire on the MC terminal?

DIYer Dave

Reaction score
The white wire does show to be my common. The brown wire has the 24v. So I’m guessing the white goes to one side of the valve and the brown goes to the other? If so, do the blue wires hook anywhere in that circuit or do they just connect separately? I’m thinking since the were cut, they must be hooked into the circuit somewhere.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Picture of the controller wiring and the zone valve be a big help.

Where is the brown wire connected to in the controller?

The blue wire maybe spares but where is the blue wire connected to in the controller. Or you accidentally cut the blue wire that goes to the next zone valve.

Are the zone valves in one manifold or scattered around the property? How many zones in use?

DIYer Dave

Reaction score
This is my controller box. Also, if it means anything…when I hook the white and brown together, the sprinklers at that one station start working. I never cut the blues, they were already cut. The zones are scattered and I have 10 zones.

Attachments

• IMG_8734.jpeg
    IMG_8734.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 17

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Not sure about the white wire, it's not the common. It's orange in the controller but could have been changed further down the line. When you connected the white and brown, you mean to each wire of the solenoid? I see two brown wires. Zone 6&7. I don't see blue wires, zones 1,2 and 4 look to be black. There has been some rework in, I see two cut wire, a bare twist. It all indicates someone after the initial install added or tried to fix things. No so much in Florida but varmit's like to chew on wire or digging with a shovel accidentally cut wires.

I don't have the time today to look up the manual for your unit. But if all is working as needed, don't fix what's not broke.

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
I found the manual. Is this a pump?

The brown and white wires from the jacketed cable is the rain sensor, the next two, the first orange is the common, the next orange is for the pump relay or master valve. Follow it down and its splice to a thin red wire.

The yellow wire from the jack seems to go nowhere. What's scary is the two thin orange wires. They appear to be connected to the 120 v terminal, that is noway allowed.

As I said earlier seeing the heavy large wires on zone 9 and 10, same wires use for the com and master valve suggest zones 9 and 10 were added on at a later date. I suspect the pump went bad and the pump relay was replaced at the same time.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks