Sprinkler systems, I need some serious help ‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Paul A

Reaction score
I have a serious issue now, but before I mention it I’ve never operated sprinkler systems before and how they work.

So I’ve bought my first house a couple of months ago and recently decided to use the sprinklers. It took some time to get it to work. Couple of days later, had a guy cut my lawn while I was away. My sprinklers came on due to programming and decided to go out back, to see the work he’s done. I’ve noticed water was coming out of the faucet that’s behind the house and figured maybe the guy turned it on and never turned it off... so I’ve turned it off, also hoping it didn’t affect my sprinklers if I did (sprinklers were still running). Couple days have gone by and I’ve noticed my sprinklers have not come on at all. I’ve tried everything, turning my faucet back on, and messing with the sprinkler display. Wondering if I screwed something up by turning that faucet off while the sprinklers were running that day. Please any feedback would be awesome. Thanks everyone!!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Turning the water off and then back on again shouldn't affect the programming on the control. Sometimes those are set up to run on certain days. What days is yours set for?

Paul A

Reaction score
Turning the water off and then back on again shouldn't affect the programming on the control. Sometimes those are set up to run on certain days. What days is yours set for?
Thank you, I’ve set it for even days. But even if I’ve tried using Manual single station, then turn dial to run all I hear is this thump sound (which usually happens when it comes on) and nothing happens. Which is bizaare..

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
What is meant "Manual single station"?

The thump is a usually a zone valve opening or closing. I'm assuming it is a city water connection, The spigot out back is it coming out of the ground or from the wall of the home? Maybe some kids messed with it. Was a hose connected to it, then it might have been accidentally left on by the landscaper.

Need to have a picture of what you have;
1) City water or a pump?
2) If city water is there an anti siphon device or backflow preventer?
3) What type of controller (model) or timer?
4) Is it an indexing valve (above ground) or individual zone valves?
5) Is there a rain sensor?
6) How many zones?

Paul A

Reaction score
Thank you, not home at the moment but will provide all of the information. Again thank you!

update: so my neighbor just so happen to be outside when I got home, so I’ve decided to mention my problem. Two things we’ve done; we’ve turned the system on using the display and noticed nothing was happening, we have went to where the pump was located and can hear the pump turned on. But the sprinklers would not pop up and the faucet around the back would spew a little water every min. So my neighbor suggest that we connect my water hose in the faucet, because the water pump may not be getting enough water. So we’ve done that, turned it on and noticed the sprinklers slowly popped up 1 by 1 shooting water (very weak pressure though). It came to his conclusion that the pump has burned out and needs a replacement. Also by the looks of the current one, it looks old..... surprised the previous owner didn’t care much for it. I’m going to buy me a new pump first thing tomorrow, my neighbor would gladly help me install it. I’ll keep you guys up to date. But Before I go, what’s y’all’s opinion on this scenario So far?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks