Sprinkler system question

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris Maki

Reaction score
I purchased a home that that a shallow well in the basement that has a Flotec 1/2 hp pump and bladder tank. The system won't hold pressure so I am assuming the bladder tank is shot even though it is only a few years old.
My question is do I need to use the tank to run a couple sprinkler heads at a time? The heads I have are some Toro with 3gpm flow.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You don't need a pressure tank or pressure switch if you turn the pump on and off manually. Just make sure the pump never runs with all the valves closed. But if the system won't hold pressure when the sprinklers are off, you have a leak somewhere, which could be the check valve.

Chris Maki

Reaction score
I tried to check the tank pressure following the directions in the manual and when I ran water out of the tank the pressure dropped to zero in the tank. There aren't any visible leaks and it takes 10 minutes to get up to the shut off pressure. Not knowing much about the well is my next move to replace the check valve?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Doesn't make sense. Not having any air in the tank means it should fill in seconds, not minutes. If the pressure goes down when no water is being used, then the check valve maybe bad. Sounds like more than one problem.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Is this for irrigation only? If yes, you do not need a pressure tank, only an irrigation pump. Pressure tanks are only needed for domestic use water with a jet pump or a submersible and a pressure switch installed. Having a pressure tank and the use is for irrigation only, you'll be losing a lot of pressure just trying to keep the tank pressurized. If the pump can handle the load you'll find the pump will be cycling on and off too often.

0a681dea-81a6-4d6c-9481-4d451ecb370f_400_compressed.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks