Sprinkler System Issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Alli

Reaction score
So I just bought a home about 11 months ago with an automatic sprinkler system. About a week ago it stopped working. After doing some research I have been able to water the lawn by turning the bleed valve but the automatic part isn't working. The panel is in the garage and looks to be working fine but it just doesn't turn the sprinklers on. Do you think the solenoid is bad or is the sprinkler valve bad? Is this something I can repair or do I need to hire a professional. I know you can't tell me for sure but I want to get an idea about what this repair is going to cost me. Oh and my grass is looking a little yellow from not watering. Should I water more or will it need to be replaced now. Sorry if these are dumb questions I am still learning things. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
You need first, to check the voltage at the sprinkler valve to confirm there is voltage delivered when the system is turned "on".
If there is voltage, then either the solenoid is bad or internal diaphragm is bad.
If you have voltage at solenoid, disconnect the wires at the solenoid and remove and power up to see if the mechanism activates.
If it does, the something inside.
Decide if it is worth tracking down parts or if it is a plastic valve, often just replacing is simple. should be lots of youtube on these topics.
Unions on both legs of a sprinkler valve make swapping out easy next time.
There will always be a next time with plastic valves.
Most pros use brass bodied valves and have parts sources but that is an investment.

Alli

Reaction score
I will see if I can get my brother to check the voltage. It is a place to start. Thanks!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
What type of controller (model) and how many zones? Most of the time it's a DIYer repair.

Instead of turning the bleed valve, turn the solenoid about a 1/4 turn counter clockwise. The valve should open, turn it back and it will close. It's a good indication that the diaphragm is good. Solenoids are a common failure or a corroded wire connection. If the 24v transformer went bad you wouldn't have any display on the controller.

Another common failure is the controller itself. Some have built in control for the first three or four zones or it's a plug in module. A simple test is remove the wire for the troubled zone and move it to another zone connection. Then activate the zone from the controller. If it works then it is the controller and it does not need to be repaired if a spare zone was used. If the zone still doesn't work and there is 24v ac at the terminal on the controller, it's usually a bad solenoid. Solenoid s are just about standard on residential systems and are low cost easy to change. Just unthread it and put another one in and do use wire nuts with silicone grease that are sold just about every hardware or big box stores that sell irrigation parts

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks