Sprinkler pump flow through at intake

Users who are viewing this thread

BobLeland

Reaction score
I have a 1 horsepower portable Wayne sprinkler pump hooked up permanently to a 50 gal rain barrel (intake at bottom of barrel port --so pump intake is always under pressure--with 1 inch pvc, one foot length to pump intake). I capture a perennial spring and use a float switch to turn the pump on and off when the barrel fills and empties. I use the spring water for overhead irrigation to my yard.

Ran it all last year, no issues. This season I turned it back on--I have a 3/4 inch pvc supply line downstream from the pump that is split--one line serves uphill sprinklers, the other runs downhill sprinklers. I only run either the uphill or downhill at one time and have ball valves for shut off. I noted when I had the downhill line in operation this spring that the water was dribbling out through low sprinkler head as the barrel continued to fill but the barrel would not fill up enough to prompt the float switch. So, water is flowing through the pump when it is not on and the only way I can get the barrel to fill is to turn off the downstream main line ball valve so the water backs up into the barrel. This was not the case last year.

Question: is the pump intake, under some pressure, supposed to be closed when the pump is in the off position? Wayne guy told me it would flow through under pressure in the off position. That doesn't sound right to me. Suggestions?

BobLeland

Reaction score
The pump does not close. Do you have a check valve on the discharge?
Not on the downhill line. For it, I pump uphill 10 feet then over and downhill where the sprinklers are. I think you have a good idea. Might try an inline check valve at the top of the uphill supply section and hope there is not enough pressure from the spring filling barrel to open it up. Valveman, do you have another suggestion?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Put an air vent at the top of the 10' rise. You are getting a siphon effect. I couldn't figure out how you where getting it to hold back without a check valve. On the suction or discharge of the pump, a check valve with a 1 pound spring will hold back water from 2.31' above it. A 3 pound spring will hold back 6.93' and so on. But breaking the siphon at the top of a 10' hill will hold back 10'.

BobLeland

Reaction score
Put an air vent at the top of the 10' rise. You are getting a siphon effect. I couldn't figure out how you where getting it to hold back without a check valve. On the suction or discharge of the pump, a check valve with a 1 pound spring will hold back water from 2.31' above it. A 3 pound spring will hold back 6.93' and so on. But breaking the siphon at the top of a 10' hill will hold back 10'.
thank you for your help and patience. What is the easiest best way to accomplish an air vent on a 3/4 in pvc supply line? Was thinking of a tee and a pvc standpipe but i think the pump would push water there when it kicks on?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You can get a little air vent an any irrigation supply. But a little check valve will also work. Put a tee at the high point. Put a check valve on the tee with the arrow pointed at the tee. This will let air in, but not let water out.

BobLeland

Reaction score
Valveman,
You are a genius. Today I installed a 1/2 in. check valve just as you described. Worked like a champ--no downhill sprinkler head drainage when the pump turned off and the barrel filled up and cycled through with the float switch. Many thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks