Spring vs Shallow well question

Users who are viewing this thread

NThomas

Reaction score
I recently purchased a camp in Northern NY, and it has plumbing throughout. The previous owners used a spring behind the cabin(I would estimate 30 feet of elevation and 150 yds away) as the water source. This water source is no longer connected and the cabin has not been used for many years. The neighbors also told us the previous owners had never been there during the winter, and they had instructions on how to drain the interior of the cabin.

I am looking at different ways to set up the water system, as I want to be able to use it during the winter. I would also like to leave the heat off in the cabin. I have alot of work to do and a few months before beginning this project, but I would like any suggestions you have.

I also have a seep spring thats currently in the overgrown driveway, maybe 10 feet below the cabin and 40 yards away. I am going to get a backhoe and dig this up and install piping so the driveway will be dry before putting down rock. I was thinking a have two choices.
1. I can dig a shallow well under the driveway and caputure the water lower than the drainage pipe, and dig the poly pipe down under the frost line with the backhoe and not have to worry about any issues with the water freezing. I would likely put a shallow well pump in the house and use that.

2. I can secure the spring above the house properly(this would be dug by hand) and run the hose down to the house. However, I am thinking to prevent freezing, I would need to put a 50 gallong drum in the house and let me the water constantly flow into and out of the barrel, and have the same style pump attached to the 50 gallon drum. This would ensure moving water and thus not freeze the pipe from the spring or the drain.

I believe the first option would be less maintenance and easier(as I can dig the holes with the backhoe). However these are both new methods as everything I have ever owned before this has been on a well. I do realize that I would have to have both of these water sources tested before beginning. They both produce plenty of water for the cabins intake needs, and the higher is known to not dry up, the other is believed to not dried up.

Thanks for any help,
Sorry for being long winded.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Anyway you can rig up a sump that will have enough water you can use a pump system the same as you would on a well. But if the driveway drains into the sump, you probably don't want to drink the water. Only a clean spring or a deep well could deliver drinkable water.

I wouldn't count on running water to keep the line from freezing. The same as heat tapes, that quits working when you lose power and the lines will be frozen until spring.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks