Spring fed water source needs PSI boost

Users who are viewing this thread

Callicoon Ken

Reaction score
Hey there - just bought a place in the mountains - mobile home with a 45+ yr old spring fed water source- approx 1000 gallon spring tank sits about 225 yards from house and approx 45’ above - water runs through line down to house and into frost free hydrant - when hydrant is opened water feeds house with just pressure to run faucets , toilet , and shower but not all at once - we want to increase what appears to be barely 20 PSI to a comfortable level - we’ve been considering a shallow well pump and 20 gallon pressurized bladder tank - but not sure what size to get. truth be told this is out of my wheelhouse and learning as i go - any advice would be helpful - i’ve attached pick of existing frost free hydrant and proposed combo jet pump and tank

Attachments

• CBCA8ECF-A4C8-4BFF-BB1E-464BD13DF11A.jpeg
    CBCA8ECF-A4C8-4BFF-BB1E-464BD13DF11A.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 185
  • 40F3F0DC-FBAE-415F-B856-C1360937FBF1.jpeg
    40F3F0DC-FBAE-415F-B856-C1360937FBF1.jpeg
    74.5 KB · Views: 204

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
this is above my pay grade. theirs a member on here called VALVEMAN, you can send him a message in the members page.
I think he can help you.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
20 PSI is what you get from a height of 46'. There are all kinds of booster pumps on the market. A good one is not cheap, and a cheap one is not good. I would use something like a J7S Goulds with a PK1A to control it. The Cycle Stop Valve in the PK1A will give such strong constant pressure to the house that you will no longer even need soap in the shower. :)

PK1A with Jet Pump vertical sized.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
20 PSI is what you get from a height of 46'. There are all kinds of booster pumps on the market. A good one is not cheap, and a cheap one is not good. I would use something like a J7S Goulds with a PK1A to control it.
Given the head start due to the elevation, wouldn't the J5S (1/2 HP) pump give plenty of boost, and be quieter?

Bypass valves (3 valves) would let you keep water if there was pump problem or there was a power outage.

I would think this application would not need a check valve, and should never have a priming problem... would I be correct?

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yeah it would work, but the J5S would only give 5 GPM while the J7S will give 12 GPM, which will run more things at one time. Probably very little difference in price, and the noise will be the same.

Reach4

Reaction score
Since it is boosting the pressure, rather than sucking from 5 ft down, I think the J5s could do over 10 gpm. If the incoming pressure drops to 10 PSI, a 40 PSI boost still gets you to over 50.

This is a cabin, and not a 3 bathroom house. I expect 6 GPM is plenty. On price difference, I saw $382 (J5S or J5SH) vs $476, so not a really big difference. One of the 1/2 HP pumps would be easier if they went on generator for a while.
IMG_4.png

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks