Spout drips after spigot closed but drip then stops. Why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Motorapido

Reaction score
Kitchen sink faucet. Single handle. Relatively new. Don't know brand, and it's not one of the major brands as far as I recall. When the handle is turned off, water stops flowing out of the spigot and a little continues to weep and drip for about 15 seconds. After that, there is no more water flow or dripping until the faucet is turned back on. When brand new, this faucet turned off immediately when the handle was turned to the off position. Now it takes 15 seconds for dripping and weeping, and when that's done, it stays dry. Not a problem, but since it did not behave this way when new, I'm wondering if the valve is failing. I'm guessing maybe some sediment and mineral buildup in the valve body allows a little water to continue to pass through until the valve fully seats. Anybody have a diagnosis? Wish I knew the brand of faucet and that I had a pic, but I'm far from the faucet location for a while. Advice? Thanks in advance.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
If it has a pull out spray it could be related to the anti siphon maybe a little wear in the parts but not the valve body

Motorapido

Reaction score
If it has a pull out spray it could be related to the anti siphon maybe a little wear in the parts but not the valve body
Talk to me a little more about the pull-out sprayer and anti-siphon. I don't know about anti-siphon and sprayers. What should I be examining if this is the cause of the issue?

Motorapido

Reaction score
So how about this for a test of whether it's sprayer-related -- with the water turned on, I trigger the sprayer, and I keep the sprayer spraying while I turn off the water valve and keep the sprayer triggered until after the water valve is shut off. I'm thinking that would remove any pressure within the sprayer hose and could result in no water getting pushed out of the spigot after shut-off. If I do this and no water dribbles out of the spigot after shut-off, does that confirm a sprayer issue? And if so, other than replacing the whole sprayer hose and head, is there anything else to look into?

Sarg

Enjoy Learning
Reaction score
Just a thought = I've noted on my faucet that as the age of the aerators on the faucet increases ( and they slowly become "clogged" ) they hold back residual water longer. I change mine out every few months.

aerators.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Could also be that the spray hose has expanded slightly and as the pressure is turned off from the valve, the hose from the valve to the spray head contracts to its original size and expels the excess water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks