Splitting water supplies for a second sink

Users who are viewing this thread

AndyH

Reaction score
So I got my drain plumbed in for the second sink. Problem now is getting water to the second sink. I was going to tie in copper from the lines in the basement and come up in the wall just like the left sink. Problem with that is it is going to be super hard to get to it to solder it in. What would you all recommend? Pex? Do I have to tie in to the lines in the basement or should I tie in to the lines on the left in the bathroom?

Attachments

• 20210918_201832.jpg
    20210918_201832.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 504

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can tie into the lines on the left in the bathroom. On another note, the 2 x 1 1/2 double san tee is incorrect. It should be a double fixture tee.

AndyH

Reaction score
You can tie into the lines on the left in the bathroom. On another note, the 2 x 1 1/2 double san tee is incorrect. It should be a double fixture tee.
Uh oh! I thought I got the double fixture fitting. I didn't even realize I used the wrong fitting until you pointed it out. Will what I have work or do I need to swap it out? Also do I need to tie into the supply lines before the shutoff valves or would it work to split off after the valves? Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A vanity faucet is flow restricted, so tying into the 1/2" lines probably won't impact the flow much. TO be sure, IF the place where you could tie into was 3/4", it might maximize it, but if it's 1/2", not work the trouble IMHO, to try to fish lines up from below...I'd just T off the existing vertical lines to the second sink. I'd do that on the vertical section.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Uh oh! I thought I got the double fixture fitting. I didn't even realize I used the wrong fitting until you pointed it out. Will what I have work or do I need to swap it out? Also do I need to tie into the supply lines before the shutoff valves or would it work to split off after the valves? Thanks!

Each sink should have its own shut off valves even if it is under the same cabinet. If one faucet ever needs a cartridge replacement or other issues, only one sink is out of commision.

After a remodel many complain that it takes too long for the hot water to reach the faucet. EPA watersense rule is 1.5 gallon per minute at 60 PSI. You'll find many are now rated at 1.2 gallons per minute because of many local laws. Before EPA guidelines most bathroom faucets were 2.2 to 2.5 gallon per minute. A 3/4" pipe holds more water for a given run compared to 1/2", therefore it would waste more water and take longer to get hot water at the faucet.

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
The problem with the double san tee is that if there is a stoppage below it and you run a snake down one lavatory it will pass through the fitting and pop up in the other lavatory.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks