Spline wrench for shutoffs on tub/shower valve

Users who are viewing this thread

NBachers

Reaction score
I work in the plumbing department of our local independent home care center. For years, I've been trying to find a socket that fits over the splines on the shutoff valves that are built into the tub/shower valve. Delta and Price Pfister have them; other brands probably do, too.

They all have slotted screwdriver slots, but, since they aren't turned off for years and years, they get frozen in place. When you try to shut them off, the slot will get stripped out, or half the shaft will break off.

Since these stops have splines, it makes sense that there'd be a wrench to fit over them. The manufacturers insist there isn't. I haven't been able to find them anywhere.

Has anyone ever seen them, or do they really not exist? Why would they put splines on them, and then not have a tool to fit over them?

I'm attaching pictures of ones from an old Delta valve I'm trying to shut off. The cold works; the hot doesn't.

spline-wrench-1.jpg

spline-wrench-2.jpg

spline-wrench-3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

NBachers

Reaction score
Barry Walter company makes these that fit 18 spline for Brasscraft which is what Delta used back then.
GREAT! THANKS! I've contacted Barry Walter Company about this, and other Holy Grail items I've been searching for, for a long time. I'm very grateful to you, Marlinman, for helping me with this. Neil- a former long-time Miami resident.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks