Spinning Tub Spout

Users who are viewing this thread

DJKuulA

Reaction score
So I'm trying to remove a Moen tub spout and as you might guess, have run into an issue.

I removed the set screw, no problem. But now the spout just spins freely. Well, there's a little scraping resistance, but not much. If I pull on the spout, the whole pipe moves.

I don't know how it was originally installed; maybe it's got a sharkbite or something in there. I can see some white stuff on the pipe; not sure what it is. Maybe they tried to caulk it on the inside or something. I can see what looks like threading on the pipe through the set screw hole. Hoping to avoid cutting the spout or finding a torch.

I've attached a couple of photos. Any ideas about what's going on?

20210605_162949.jpg

Attachments

• 20210605_163041.jpg
    20210605_163041.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 127
  • 20210605_161339.jpg
    20210605_161339.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 123

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That type of spout seals because of an O-ring (maybe two), and the setscrew keeps it from spinning or sliding off if you pull it. It appears that there's some corrosion on the pipe. Ideally, that tub spout pipe would be anchored in the wall with a drop-ear el fitting, screwed to some blocking, keeping it stable.

I think I'd try to just pull it while maybe rotating it a bit. As they age, the O-ring will become harder, so you will have to tug it over the surface corrosion on the pipe.

The other alternative would be to take a saw and cut through the spout while making sure not to damage the pipe. Once you get some of it off, you should be able to see what's going on and then decide on the path forward.

DJKuulA

Reaction score
Hot diggety, that did the trick! I pulled gently while twisting the spout back and forth, and eventually it started sloooooowly coming off. Took about five minutes to work it all the way off, but it was a stress-free five minutes. :) Thanks!!!

16229386430596005166605881749784.jpg

DJKuulA

Reaction score
Follow-up question: is it safe to use WD-40 to clean off the pipe corrosion? If not, what's the recommended method? Just sandpaper?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You have a few choices.
- a joint cleaning wire brush
- emery cloth
- steel wool
- fine sandpaper

You want it smooth, without any deep scratches, depending on the type of spout you want to replace it with. If you were to solder on an adapter that some with some Delta spouts, small scratches won't make a big differences...something with an o-ring, smooth is needed.

WD40 may not do much.

moen-3931-terrylove-01.jpg

moen-3931-terrylove-02.jpg

moen-tub-spout-installation.jpg

DJKuulA

Reaction score
Steel wool seems to do the trick so far. (The new spout is a slide-on with a set screw.)

Next question: for the square hole in the tile around the pipe, should I scrape out the old caulk remnants and fill it with new caulk? Or is there a better approach? I think that's a cement board panel behind there.

Attachments

• 20210606_154103.jpg
    20210606_154103.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 120
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks