Spin-down pre-filter for fine sediment?

Users who are viewing this thread

bingow

Reaction score
Recently on this forum, I received advice that I could forgo a sediment pre-filter for our new CK10/WS1EE twin tank (2 x 2 ft3) softener. That was great news, due to our severe space limitations, the regular servicing of a cartridge type filter would be a major PITA.

Some background. We have a 20 yr old well with ¾ HP pump at 140' depth, producing 8 gpm for "normal" durations, cycling through a pressure tank. Water is crystal clear, no odor, negligible iron and manganese. Hardness 64 gpg, turbidity 0.1 "NTU". Other water specs available.

But what I neglected to mention was if the water is drawn at full rate for an extended time, say 20+ minutes, the well might begin to have trouble keeping up, and turbidity in the form of sediment (not sand) might become a problem. This happened only once, when I tried to flush out a gopher (bad idea), and our existing 5 micron whole house filter became completely clogged, shutting off all house water. But it did serve to stop the sediment from entering our old softener. Easy fix.

So, a pre-filter might be good insurance against further stupidity, or for unexpected changes in the well water. A spin down filter with a long-life mesh cartridge would be easiest to service, but I haven't see anything below 50 microns.

Can anyone advise me on the susceptability of the WS1EE to sediment that a 50 micron filter wouldn't capture? Other ideas?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Plumb in a wye strainer. 200 Mesh size is about 75 micron. Mcmaster Carr is an amazing source...
upload_2021-7-27_12-12-22.png

bingow

Reaction score
Thanks, @ditttohead. Was not aware of such a simple solution. Major advantages are space savings, ease of installation, and (I think) ease of clearing a clogged filter. Disadvantage would be inability to do a quick visual check.

To confirm, if the 75 micron wye strainer is installed, any smaller sediment that passes thru it would not be a problem for the CK10? That would give me even more options as a solution, to include a previously recommended Atlas Hydra spin down, 50 micron, which I can just squeeze in.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Atlas Filtri Hydra is also a great solution that Ditttohead often recommends. In fact, the following video was produced by and features Ditttohead's voice.

bingow

Reaction score
Thanks @Bannerman. The Hydra is on my list. I hadn't mentioned it before, but I want something my wife doesn't have to worry about handling, and the Hydra looks very good. I also reviewed some other posts and found good things reported about the Rusco Sediment Trapper (Rusco 1-100ST-F). It has a long list of mesh options, right down to 1,000 (15 micron). I'm still worried about the Clack valve, so 15m looks better than 50m, or 75m with super simple wye. I'm favoring going with the 15m system, but am all ears.

NEMatt

Reaction score
First time I've ever seen that wye strainer mentioned. Interesting.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
anything finer than 100 micron is typically not a problem as the valve simply backwashes it out during the regeneration process.

bingow

Reaction score
anything finer than 100 micron is typically not a problem as the valve simply backwashes it out during the regeneration process.

I just now saw this post! Thanks @ditttohead, that was the specific info I was hoping for, and it is reassuring. I had gone ahead with the Rusco, getting both a 500 and 1000 mesh screen, and will install the 1000 mesh (15 micron) today. It arrived yesterday, and just as other reviewers had warned, the cheap plastic add-on purge valve (China) was nearly seized closed, and after "breaking" loose, it still takes way too much torque to operate. But thanks to those reviewers I had previously bought an American Valve (brand) #1120 brass valve as a replacement. It works beautifully. I have forwarded my comments to Rusco.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks