Spin down or a 4.5x20 Cartridge Filter for Mild Sediment in Well Water

Users who are viewing this thread

bedn0009

Reaction score
I'm spec'ing out a new system for my home well water, and want a sediment filter before the Softener > whole home charcoal filter.

I have well water, but quite mild (almost invisible) sediment. That said, I want to make sure everything is as protected as possible - but want to maintain robust flow. i have hardness of 13.5 grains, 1.0 ppm iron.

Your input is appreciated.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
A big blue by atlas Filtri or similar high quality filter is fine. The Enpress One filters are 6X bigger, definitely worth it if it is in your budget.
upload_2020-12-9_18-9-12.png

Reach4

Reaction score
Spin down is for sand-like stuff. No cartridge. It would usually be a front-end filter.

You are planning to put a cartridge filter in for the carbon, or a backwashing filter?

bedn0009

Reaction score
Spin down is for sand-like stuff. No cartridge. It would usually be a front-end filter.

You are planning to put a cartridge filter in for the carbon, or a backwashing filter?

I had another company suggest a 20" cartridge for sediment - but I guess I want whatever will work best and is lowest maintenance (if there's a combination there). The carbon will be a cartridge, or possibly even a larger backwashing filter.... I'm trying to understand the benefits.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
A carbon BB cartridge is designed for small commercial drinking water applications, not for whole house residential even though many online companies push this. A proper backwashing system is the correct way to go. For the spindown filters, these are typically 50 micron or larger, very low capacity and are very effective at preventing sand and debris from getting into your system. The Hydra has become one of the better sellers.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks