Specify whole house filter for well supplied home

Users who are viewing this thread

Daniel Gottesman

Reaction score
We need to install a whole house water filter system to both eliminate bacteria and sulfur smell. The pump supplies 12.5 GPM (measured actual) And has reservoir in pressure tank that supplies 4.5 gal before pump kicks in for 21 seconds to replenish. Our current fixtures are kitchen sink and one full bath and hose outside.

Do I need a filter system to handle the full 12.5 GPM that the pump is producing, or could I use a smaller, say 8 GPM filter system, without risking damage to the pump? Or insufficient water....

Thanks,
Dan

Reach4

Reaction score
We need to install a whole house water filter system to both eliminate bacteria and sulfur smell.
Most people just sanitize the well and plumbing. But if you need to do both of those things, you can inject chlorine or hydrogen peroxide. Then feed the water into a large contact tank to let the chemical do its thing.

The pump supplies 12.5 GPM (measured actual) And has reservoir in pressure tank that supplies 4.5 gal before pump kicks in for 21 seconds to replenish.
That is a bigger pump than most houses need. You need a bigger pressure tank. The pump should run at least a minute each time, so you need a tank about 3 times as big. Or you could use a CSV.

Do I need a filter system to handle the full 12.5 GPM that the pump is producing, or could I use a smaller, say 8 GPM filter system, without risking damage to the pump? Or insufficient water....
Won't hurt the pump. The filter needs to be after the pressure tank. The outside faucets are normally teed off before the filter. What kind of filter do you have in mind? What are you trying to filter? Sediment, Iron, what? 5 GPM is about what a tub fill draws. Or 2 standard showers. It works, but it is smallish. Will you want a softener? Do you have lab water test results that give numbers for hardness, iron, manganese, arsenic, etc?

Being limited to 5 gpm would not hurt the pump. The reason that the pressure tank goes before the filtering is that the pressure switch needs to be before the pressure switch in case there is a clogged filter. And the pressure switch needs to be at the pressure tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks