Special pump situation

Users who are viewing this thread

Martinf

Reaction score
Hello all,
So we've got a little cabin in Montana that I'd like to build a better water system for and I'd sure appreciate any ideas and advice.

We are only there occasionally and do not want to deal draining lines and winterizing nor can we create warm freeze proof areas given that the cabin is so rural and we might not be there for a year ata time.

Theres a shallow well, say 20 ft with a static of 15 ft. It's a 4" so I can put a submersible in it or could use a pump up top.

But I don't want a pump up top! Or anything up top! I'd rather not even have a pressure tank.

What I want is a submersible and a pitless and run a line to our little cabin ( just a little canned ham trailer really) and a frost-free hydrant. That's it. Nothing to drain or worry about freezing.

A few questions:
I've installed and wired a few deep well pumps. Seems like it's kinda excessive and spendy to put a deep well pump only 20 ft down in a situation that a shallow well pump could handle, but I don't want a pump house above ground. So is this the best choice or are there other choices I should consider?

I've been reading about the constant pressure valve approach. Seems like this would work for me in that I could dig a small pit and put the pump controller and a real small pressure tank in it. Is this the way I should go or would you suggest something else? BTW, I do not want a variable speed pump, in case that would be the recommendation. Simple, simple!
Thanks much for any advice

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You must have a pressure tank to make a pump system come on and off automatically using a pressure switch. However, with a CSV, the tank doesn't need to be ver large.

You could install a CSV12550-1 in the well, just below the pitless. Then if you use a 2 wire motor, like a 1/2HP, 10 GPM, 2 wire submersible, all you will need above ground is a 4.5 gallon size tank and a 40/60 pressure switch.

You can put the little pressure tank and switch in a pit next to the well, then attach to a frost free hydrant sticking up. If the pit creates very much moisture or condensation, the pressure switch will turn green and not last very long. But if the humidity in the pit is low, this works very well.

You could also put the CSV12550-1 in the well and come right out to the frost free hydrant. Then you could attach a hose to the hydrant to send water to the camper. Then inside the camper, maybe under the sink you could install the little tank and switch. You would just need to make sure to attach the hose and turn on the hydrant before you turn power on to the pump. Then when you are ready to leave, just disconnect the power to the pump and disconnect the hose from the hydrant. The little tank and switch will not hold any water and will not need to be drained, other than just disconnecting the hose from the hydrant. Then when you close the hydrant, it will drain below ground and there will be nothing that can freeze.

Martinf

Reaction score
You can put the little pressure tank and switch in a pit next to the well, then attach to a frost free hydrant sticking up. If the pit creates very much moisture or condensation, the pressure switch will turn green and not last very long. But if the humidity in the pit is low, this works very well.

You could also put the CSV12550-1 in the well and come right out to the frost free hydrant. Then you could attach a hose to the hydrant to send water to the camper. Then inside the camper, maybe under the sink you could install the little tank and switch. You would just need to make sure to attach the hose and turn on the hydrant before you turn power on to the pump. Then when you are ready to leave, just disconnect the power to the pump and disconnect the hose from the hydrant. The little tank and switch will not hold any water and will not need to be drained, other than just disconnecting the hose from the hydrant. Then when you close the hydrant, it will drain below ground and there will be nothing that can freeze.

Yah, I was thinking the moisture would be an issue. Maybe I'll stick the switch down in the pit and have it in a waterproof enclosure with grommets for the wires.

Your other idea about putting the PS and tank is pretty creative. I hadn't thought of that.
thanks for the advice.
I'm gonna purchase a CSV12550-1 for this system and a regular one for my home as I have had some water hammer that I've not been able to get rid of.
~martin

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If you purchase a CSV125 to put down the hole, request that a larger vent is drilled in case the valve is submerged in water. The extra vent is no charge, we just need to know it could possibly be submerged and we will take care of it.

Also you could attach one of the Pside-Kick kits to a frost free hydrant. If you make electrical plugs and outlets for connection to the pressure switch, you can just unplug the pump and easily remove the Pside-Kick kit with a couple of unions. Then you could just place it in a closet or safe place until you return and need it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks