Speakman diamond series swivel rebuild?

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Ok on to the next plumbing project as we wait out the virus. I repaired my brass pipe with a ton of help from this forum, and I now have more pressure. The swivel joint at my super old shower valve is sweating a bit more. Is it possible to rebuild this joint? Is it a machined seal like a union, or some kind of washer? Any thoughts appreciated.

Here's a diagram from the manufacturer showing the part. It's the swivel where the supply connects. Supply is red brass threaded pipe.

I have access from behind, so replacement is possible, but I'd like to save it if I can.

Screenshot_20200330-175920_Gallery.jpg

Thank you!

DIY

Last edited:

DIYorBust

Reaction score
So as I've been working on this, I believe the swivel joint is a metal on metal union based on other pictures from old catalogs. However after cleaning it up, I belive the leak is coming from a hairline crack where the pipe is threaded into this fitting, not from union mating surface itself.

Not wanting to take apart this very old fitting, one option I was considering was to try to solder the crack. The fitting is made of brass. Any chance this would work or any other ideas?

Thank you!

DIY

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks