space from toilet to the wall

Users who are viewing this thread

kholmes123

Reaction score
Experienced folks. I just posted a problem about a flange. I have another concern about the space. The spec sheet says 12" needed from the wall to the center of the flange but I only have 11.5". I set the toilet on the flange to see if it will fit and it does with about an eighth of an inch of clearance.

is that still OK?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It fit didn't it? Yes, you're okay.
12" had always been the standard, but in the 80's wainscoating became popular as a way to trim out the walls. All of a sudden, toilets quit fitting and we resorted to 10" rough bowls for some of that. Manufacturers caught on and adjusted the molds to allow for what could happen in the field. Thank goodness for that.
Some 12" rough toilets will even install at 10-7/8", and most I see now will install at 11-1/2" and maybe a bit less.
I installed three today that were very tight to the wall that way. I made sure I had the bolts adjusted where I wanted them before trying the bowl without wax. I then pulled and set the wax rings down for the install.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As long as the toilet is not distorted against the wall, it probably will be okay. Note, often in the summer, but it can happen in the winter, too, without much room behind the toilet, if the cold water going into the toilet is super cold or the humidity is really high, you might get some condensation, and with little to no room, it could grow some mildew behind. Note, most modern toilets, unlike the older ones, do not dump all of the water in the tank, so at least some of it is room temperature when the fresh stuff comes in unless it has recently been flushed. So, with the water warmer, most people have fewer or no problems with the tank sweating unless it's a high use toilet, or the flapper valve leaks, and it runs constantly.

FWIW, the typical outlet of most toilets is a little over 2", and the hole in the toilet flange is at least 3"...there's often enough slop to shift the toilet at least some...1/4" should be easy, 3/8" might be possible.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks