Space for Wall Mount Mini Split

Users who are viewing this thread

theMezz

Reaction score
I am shopping for split mini AC

My question is how much space is needed from the to of the window frame to the ceiling to mount a
wall mount mini split heat pump handler
like the MSZ-GL06NA-U1 ?

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
If you look on p4 of this document you'll see that the mounting plate for the GL06 is 10.0" from the bottom edge to the tip of the point in the center, but only 9-1/8" height to the corners.

If you look on p3 of this document you'll see that it needs 3/8" clearance at the bottom, and 2-1/8" to what appears to be the line point to the corner, not to the tip of the tab.

So total minimum distance from trim to ceiling is 3/8" + 2-1/8" + 9-1/8"= 11-5/8", but if the drawing is ambiguous it might need another (10" - 9-1/8"= ) 7/8", which would make it 12-1/2" .

theMezz

Reaction score
If you look on p4 of this document you'll see that the mounting plate for the GL06 is 10.0" from the bottom edge to the tip of the point in the center, but only 9-1/8" height to the corners.

If you look on p3 of this document you'll see that it needs 3/8" clearance at the bottom, and 2-1/8" to what appears to be the line point to the corner, not to the tip of the tab.

So total minimum distance from trim to ceiling is 3/8" + 2-1/8" + 9-1/8"= 11-5/8", but if the drawing is ambiguous it might need another (10" - 9-1/8"= ) 7/8", which would make it 12-1/2" .

AWESOME
thank you so much

theMezz

Reaction score
I have under 12 inches.. so I guess it won't fit!
Looks like a floor mount unit for me (that really mounts on the wall)

Reach4

Reaction score

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
I have under 12 inches.. so I guess it won't fit!
Looks like a floor mount unit for me (that really mounts on the wall)

I think the real dimension is 11-5/8", it's just that the drawing isn't layed out like a true mechanical drawing, so it's ambiguous.

Mitsubishi doesn't make a half-ton floor mount- smallest they have is a 3/4 tonner. Oversizing for bedrooms is not recommended with multi-splits. When other zones are calling for heat the bypass refrigerant is still flowing through the other heads even when nominally "off", which can lead to overheating/overcooling the spaces. Tread cautiously, and calculate the loads carefully.

It's fine to mount the high-wall units lower down (it's even more efficient in heating mode to mount them low), but they stick out into the more than floor mount coils.

Peter%20Talmage%20%20-%20ductless%20minisplit%20mounted%20low_4.png

Stuff

Reaction score
It would take more work (framing and piping) and more money but what about a ceiling recessed mount?

theMezz

Reaction score
I think it would be really difficult - its a loft kind of room in an attic . .not much room above the ceiling
I'll ask my next 2 contractors coming in for quotes
getting 5 quotes - and I normally do not go with the lowest on jobs

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
It would take more work (framing and piping) and more money but what about a ceiling recessed mount?

The smallest ceiling cassettes they make are 3/4 tonners, all of which would be oversized for a room that called for a GL06. (Even the GL06 is oversized for most bedrooms by at least 2x.) They do make a uni-directional ceiling cassette series designed to fit between 16" o.c. joists, but the smallest in that series is also a 3/4 tonner the MLZ-KP09. But it's a lot less framing work than the 4-way ceiling cassettes.

Some of the 4-way ceiling cassettes can be fitted with ducted output for at least 2 of the sides (maybe 3- I haven't dug too deeply into that option) to split output with other rooms, but the return path is still up the center, and adequate return paths would need to be provided between the remote rooms and the room with the cassette. I don't know if ducted splitting of output is a possibility with the MLZs (I'm guessing not.)

[edited to add]

Just looked- none of the SLZ or MLZ have a branch duct option- that's a PLA series thing, and it's a maximum of 2 sides.

Last edited:

Stuff

Reaction score
Good point about the 3/4 ton minimum. So would branch ducts for these be more of a solution for a larger open area to get better air circulation?

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Good point about the 3/4 ton minimum. So would branch ducts for these be more of a solution for a larger open area to get better air circulation?

The throw of the 4-way ceiling cassettes is quite good, so it doesn't really make sense to duct to a diffuser grille/register within the same open space. I'm not sure when they are most commonly used, but the branch ductable PLA cassettes are targeted at commercial & retail markets. A large open office area might have doored off offices that could be served by the branch ducts rather than zoning them separately. The smallest branch-ductable PLA ceiling cassette is the 1-ton PLA-A12, with 14,000 BTU/hr heating, 12K cooling.

That's enough to heat & cool a reasonably tight code-min 800-1000' house (the whole house) in my area, and extreme overkill for a sub-code loft room that can be managed with a GL06 wall blob.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks