Source of water leak into basement

Users who are viewing this thread

mayanees

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm getting water in my basement and it appears to be seeping through the wall, with the apparent source being the pressurized well black poly pipe. I have a submersible pump outside that feeds the black poly that runs 40 feet to the corner of the basement and enters through the wall as shown on the attached picture. It's been there since the house was built 40 years ago. It will be difficult to dig down to it from the outside because it goes under a brick patio and poured step. Along with the black poly pipe is a ground wire that runs to the electrical panel.
Is the black poly pipe subject to breaking down over time? I thought that stuff was nearly indestructible.
I'm going to contact a plumber because I think it might be wise to disconnect the pipe at the wall and stick a pipe probe/camera down the pipe to inspect for a break. The other alternative is to dig down from the outside, but that could be destructive to the brick steps since the pipe goes under that assembly.
Suggestions for a pathforward or any insight are welcomed and appreciated.

Attachments

• pipeentry.JPG
    pipeentry.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 204

Reach4

Reaction score
Is that the only place with seepage in the basement? It is likely that water is from water around the foundation. You could turn off your pump for a period. That should not stop water that is seeping around the pipe from ground water, but it would slow or stop water from a leak.

Is the black poly pipe subject to breaking down over time? I thought that stuff was nearly indestructible.
You could wear through. It is also possible that the leak is at the pitless at the far end of the poly, and the water is following along the outside of the pipe.

How quick is the flow?

mayanees

In the Trades
Reaction score
The flow is very slow, and it does stop when I shut off the pump. Also it's been very dry lately which tends to rule out a groundwater leak. I think the idea that it could be coming from a leak at the well connection point for the poly, and following the pipe to the wall is a good possibility because I've been in and out of that several times in the past ten years. But I haven't messed with it in the past three years.

Thanks for the reply.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks