Source for water tank, thinking of settling grit before pressure tank

Users who are viewing this thread

000utback

Reaction score
Residential well 5 gpm. Had to replace the pressure tank over the weekend, and noticed a lot of grit in the bottom.
The well water comes in the house about 18" from the floor. T there, to go down to pressure tank or up to house. All new 1" piping. when I re-piped it this weekend, I left an easy access drain cock at the bottom of the leg to the pressure tank. I can easily valve off the well supply, open the drain, and let the pressure tank pressure blow out the bottom to a hose. At first I thought doing this regularly would keep the grit from building up in the pt.

I also looked at the Lakos Sandmaster, which seems way more than I need. A simple tank, with ports bottom, side, top, would seem to work. Like the ERTG21-A. The flow up through a 16" diam tank will have way less velocity than the flow through the 1" water line. Seems like most of the heavy particulate would settle, to be blown out the bottom outlet. I want 1" connections, the same as the rest of the water piping till it gets to the treatment system.

And... I am adding a Stenner water meter for the new liquid chlorinator system. I'd rather not mess with their dinky little filters to protect the meter.

so, what do y'all think? Would you add a sand/grit settling tank before the pressure tank? If so, any recs on mfg / model? I can't find many options on 3 port tanks. Can't even find a dealer for the ERTG21-A; they just sell the bigger 80 gal range. I don't understand why it's so hard to find a small vertical tank.

T'anks in advance for any advice and opinions.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
The Lakos sub K that installs over the pump works very well.

I've seen squat 42 gallon galv tanks installed before the diaphram tank, but the turbulence created by the incoming water stirs up the sediment so they aren't that effective.

Reach4

Reaction score
I can easily valve off the well supply
You don't want a valve between the pump and the pressure switch. To turn off the incoming water, you should turn off the breaker/switch.

000utback

Reaction score
The Lakos sub K that installs over the pump works very well.

I've seen squat 42 gallon galv tanks installed before the diaphram tank, but the turbulence created by the incoming water stirs up the sediment so they aren't that effective.

Thanks for the comment. 5 gpm is going to stir up the water. Were those galv tanks piped with a side inlet or bottom?

000utback

Reaction score
You don't want a valve between the pump and the pressure switch. To turn off the incoming water, you should turn off the breaker/switch.

Yes, understand that, but thanks for making sure. I was referring to the valve between the water supply and the pressure tank, which allows me to change out the pressure tank without draining the house.

Reach4

Reaction score
I can easily valve off the well supply, open the drain, and let the pressure tank pressure blow out the bottom to a hose. At first I thought doing this regularly would keep the grit from building up in the pt.
That sounds like a good plan. How much grit do you get in a month?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
The ones I've seen were piped so the water came in the side about 1/3 of the way up and exited out the top. There really isn't a lot of time for the sediment to settle out, especially of its fairly light material.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks