Sounds like pop off valve leaking....

Users who are viewing this thread

Rocks

Reaction score
State Scout 30 gal elect (16 years old) started making almost a whistling noise. Cycled the pop off a coup[le times + it stopped. Now, sounds like water running past it. Water isn't too hot, I keep the heater turned down low. This is in a modular home in the country + I have a well. If I had city water, not a real big deal. But with a well, this will make my pump run constantly. Is it worth replacing the pop off, or is this caused by another problem? Thanx

Reach4

Reaction score
It should be easy to look at the output of the T&P valve output to see if water is coming out. I don't think that water exit is supposed to be hidden.

Rocks

Reaction score
It should be easy to look at the output of the T&P valve output to see if water is coming out. I don't think that water exit is supposed to be hidden.

It's actually piped thru the floor + into the crawl space under the house. I can't see it from the access point.

Reach4

Reaction score
Turn off the water to the input to the WH. Does that sound stop?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are three reasons why a T&P valve might release water:
1. The temperature is too high (nearly boiling)
2. The pressure is too high (nearly 150psi)
3. It is defective or gunked up

If it is opening because of either of the first two, replacing it won't help...you need to find the reason why and fix it.

If it's the last one, replacing it should help, but may be masking the fact that it was opening because of # 1-2. Repeated opening can cause mineral deposits, and gunk it up. If you have some sand pumped up, and the valve opened, it might get under the seal and cause it to leak, but that's much less likely.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
and you need the drain ran outside the wall to where it can be seen per code,
all that moisture under the house is just going to make your under floor mold and rot out

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks