Sometimes I get water sometimes I dont??

Users who are viewing this thread

cttanman

Reaction score
Ok...

So this weekend I installed a 1hp shallow well with a point well.

Heres the problem:

Water comes out with tons of pressure for about 5 secs and then no water. After about another minute same thing happens tons of pressure and water for 5 secs then goes dry.

Any ideas???

Thanks

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Ok...

So this weekend I installed a 1hp shallow well with a point well.

Heres the problem:

Water comes out with tons of pressure for about 5 secs and then no water. After about another minute same thing happens tons of pressure and water for 5 secs then goes dry.

Any ideas???

Thanks

Sounds like a faulty pressure tank.

cttanman

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. When installing I was careful not to have any air leaks. Off to the store to return the pump.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Let me start by saying I don't know much about shallow wells, but Has the pumping capacity of the well been established?

What is to say you might not be pumping the pipe dry and then it takes a minute to refill? If the well can produce the water, shouldn't the pump be pumping it, regardless of the tank?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
It can't be the tank. Especially if the pump is running.

Does the pump shut off when the water stops?

And there's no need yet to return the pump!

If not, then you don't have enough water, the jet in the pump is blocking, you are losing prime, the thermal overload protection is opening (shutting off the pump) etc. etc. but it can't be the tank because the water from the pump goes past the tank to the fixture, or to the fixture and into the tank at the same time.

cttanman

Reaction score
Well I picked up a new pump and same problem. I think the issue is I am at the top of the water table. I'm going to go down another 5 feet and I hope that solves the problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks